Desktop Clock for 2nd timezone

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mr.steevo, Apr 1, 2010.

1. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi,

I have a friend in Turkey that I call from time to time on Skype. I would like to have a desktop clock that shows his local time. I've looked at some clock options for OS X but they all seem to run the time that the computer is set to. I don't want to change my computer's time, I just want to have a second time zone. I'm tired of installing and uninstalling clock applications from VersionTracker that don't do what I want. Is there someone who has experience with a clock that can do what I want? 10.6.3

s.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'd recommend iStat Menus. I have a few time zones I need to know the time in and that has helped a lot.

Attached Files:

3. mr.steevo thread starter macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to need something streamlined and more fool proof though. My mother in law uses this computer and needs the clock to be "right there" *sigh* A clock that stays on the desktop is probably the only way she will see it.

Thank you for the help.

s.

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Google "World Clock" or download the widget from Apple.

5. mr.steevo thread starter macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi,

Nothing comes up on the "world clock" suggestion you made other than websites with time zones.

As for the widgets, Dashboard has to be activated to view a widget then deactivated to use the computer.

Just need a clock (preferably analog) that sits on the desktop displaying the time in Istanbul. I'm currently trying out World Clock Deluxe but it looks super ugly.

s.

6. BobZune macrumors 6502a

You can set up a hot-corner of the screen to activate the dashboard (see System Preferences -- Expose&Spaces), so she doesn't have to learn to press any keys (and you can have multiple instances of world clock running) to see time in Turkey. Moving the mouse to a corner is not asking for much - she might actually enjoy seeing it. [You can even social engineer it and have a grandchild teach her how fun it is. "Look, grandma, drag the mouse here and Bingo - cool, huh?"].

Or you might want to buy a cheap clock and set it to the right timezone and set it near the computer (and change the time twice a year as needed). Sometimes non-computer solutions work!

7. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

How did this topic transition from you needing a clock to her needing a clock in an obvious location? How could she not see the clock in the top right corner?

Moreover, how often is someone actually looking at the desktop? A computer is for using applications. Pardon me, but iStat menus does what you want, and doesn't move the current clock location.

8. mr.steevo thread starter macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi,

We live in the same house and use the same computer. She needs to know what time it is in Turkey for the same reasons I do. The iMac's clock is set to our local time. After loading iStat the top bar now had two clocks, temperature, memory, hdd, and other indicators. This is overkill and far too confusing for her. All I need is a clock on the desktop that is quick to look at.

My original post indicated that I am specifically calling someone on Skype. I'm sitting in front of the computer using the Skype application. So is the mother in law. Dashboard will not work as the hot corners resulted in me getting calls from her asking what was wrong with the computer. She doesn't get it, and more importantly, has zero interest in getting it.

Anyway, I thought I would ask this board so I could wouldn't have to try out a bunch of clock apps that weren't helpful. Since then I have found, through trial and error, something that works for both her and myself.

s.

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You can actually put Dashboard widgets on the desktop.

1. In Terminal
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES
    2. Bring up Dashboard

3. Click on and hold the Widget

4. Deactivate Dashboard via the keyboard shortcut (F12, or fn + F12)

The widget will now be on the desktop.

10. mr.steevo thread starter macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi calderone,

Beautiful idea!

My solution was putting a watch next to the computer with the time zone I needed. I like your idea better.

s.