Desktop Crashes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EricBrian, Sep 8, 2007.

1. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

Heya,

So I've been experiencing this odd behavior onmy MBP:

Often times, 3 - 4 times a week, my desktop crashes. That is, it all of a sudden is gone. No icons on the desktop anymore... nothing. When this happens, all of the links in the finder are gone, too. When I say links, I mean the links found under the list of drives in the bottom left panel.

I have to reboot to get the desktop back. But even after rebooting, the links in finder are gone for good.

What could this be? How can I fix this?

Thanks
    Eric

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How much space spare left on your hard drive?

Force-quitting Finder is usually more convenient rather than rebooting. That's in the Apple menu or press Alt + Command (Apple) + Esc at the same time to bring up a list of apps to choose to force quit.

3. EricBrian thread starter macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

I have more than 11GB left.

Thanks for the tip about force quitting the finder. I will give that a go the next time.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Best to leave a bit more spare... I find some machines, depending on what apps they're running, need a minimum of 20gb spare on the HD. OS X swap files and Photoshop scratch files (to use an example) can get pretty large, same with Safari too.

Try archiving some of the stuff that you're finished with onto some DVDs or an external drive and see if the problem goes away.

5. EricBrian thread starter macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

Today it crashed 3 times. This last time, all desktop icons disappeared except for these 3. But, look at the labels.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: