Desktop Customization (Dock)

Discussion in 'UI Customization' started by sstevens, Feb 7, 2013.

1. sstevens macrumors member

I use CandyBar for custom icons but have discovered a beautiful aesthetic appearance for the Desktop. I was wondering where I can go or if someone can direct me in some useful information to customizing my desktop to look something similar as shown here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dock appears to be positioned and looks much more simple/better in my opinion, on the far left. Current iTunes song playing on bottom right, and general weather/location info in the center.

The top is basically black and embedded as well.

Thanks!

2. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Here are my guesses for what this person used:

GeekTool—it's a free app on the Mac App Store that allows you to do some insane customization. My guess is the the date, time, and iTunes stuff are displayed using GeekTool. There's a bit of a learning curve with this, however.

Onyx/TinkerTool—the former is more of a system cleaner, but both allow for some system tweaking. With these, you can move the dock to the right and left corners.

I suggest you google "GeekTool Mac Desktops"; there's some really cool stuff.

3. kamuix macrumors regular

the black menu bar is the obsidian bar you can get here: http://www.maxrudberg.com/

just make sure that every update to OSX will kill the menu bar so it's best to remember that if you update OSX you uninstall obsidian. eventually the menu bar will be updated to the latest update and you can redownload the app and apply it again.

4. sstevens thread starter macrumors member

Bump

does anyone have any more input on this? I'm thinking about going through a huge facelift to my computers and I really love this theme/style. Is this all GeekTool? Is there anything a little more simple and code friendly out there to achieve this without being a Plebian and doing basic CandyBar installs?

Thanks!