Desktop disabled?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bolteh, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Bolteh macrumors regular

I had a brainfart earlier, and cleaned my keyboard while my computer was in standby instead of turned off. The result is that by wiping off the keyboard, I hit a ton of keys, causing a lot of bad things to happen to the desktop.

The desktop seems like it's somehow disabled, things going wrong are:

- Existing Geeklets are gone (but they still exist, according to GeekTool)
    - Can't drag any new Geeklet to the desktop
    - Existing files on the desktop don't show
    - Creating new files on the desktop don't show
    - Can't right click the desktop (works fine in any other app)
    - Clicking the desktop doesn't select Finder (it sticks to the app that's open right now)
    - Can't drag selection-frames on the desktop
    - Double-clicking the desktop opens the desktop folder (and shows the items that are supposed to show on the desktop.
    - After a reboot, the items on the desktop (Geeklets and files) show for a second before disappearing again

I've tried deleting the com.apple.finder and com.apple.desktop from preferences, but all that did was restore the wallpaper to the default one.

Using a fully up to date Snow Leopard.

2. nau macrumors newbie

same for me

maybe it's Onyx which make something weird?

3. nau macrumors newbie

Bolteh,

try this, it's worked for me, thanks to satcomer:

"To reset the Finder go to the folder /YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ and throw out the Finder's preference file. Then log out and log back in. Hopefully this should fix the problem. "

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

^ That's com.apple.finder.plist

You might want to move it to the Desktop rather than Trash, or just don't empty the Trash until you know if the new one that the Restart will create is acceptable. You'll have to redo any Desktop settings that you changed if the problem is solved, but just moving the plist file back will do that if the problem remains.