desktop disappeared?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by penguy, Oct 29, 2011.

1. penguy macrumors 6502

Hello,

I've never seen this occur before...suddenly my desktop is empty...nothing...no drive icons, no files, nothing. If I go to finder, my desktop, applications, documents and even my user profile are empty...nothing at all. Can't find Macintosh HD...

I tried to copy something from an external drive and it looks as though it copied, but never shows on the desktop.

Any ideas? Could the desktop have been renamed? if so, I'm not sure how...no one was using the computer... :confused:

Running Lion 10.7.2 - Mini C2D 2.0 w/ 4 gb, 320 gb HD

btw, even though the 'applications' folder looks empty, I can run the programs in the tray with no apparent problem...

2. penguy thread starter macrumors 6502

fixed...

Force quit the finder and restart...everything came back. I have NO idea what caused it...but it's all good now.

3. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

4. czaras macrumors newbie

In my case also helped program called Tinkertool. My desktop files were visible in Finder but no at real desktop. I either couldn't see any menu clicking with right mouse button.

5. stephen777 macrumors newbie

I'm on 10.12.4. Exact same issue for me and the disappeared desktop. Killing and restarting finder did nothing. Neither did restarting the laptop. It's nice to see Apple cares enough to fix the issue, NOT.