Desktop disappears when I unplug monitor.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by roderick, Jan 31, 2009.

1. roderick macrumors member

I have a samsung monitor that i like to use with my macbook pro. When i am finished using the monitor, i turn it off then unplug the DVI cable from the macbook pro. The screen goes blue on my macbook pro but there's nothing on my desktop, it's as if it was left on the monitor screen. So i find that I just shut the lid of the macbook for a few seconds then open and the desktop comes back but is there any way to set it up so that it does this automatically? I also found that if i just unplug the DVI while the monitor is still on, the macbook desktop goes back to normal but i don't like unplugging a cable that is attached to something that is still turned on. thanks for help.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I do all the time. My display is connected to my iMac with a DVI cable and to my iBook with a VGA cable. I just cycle inputs to switch between computers, and I'm constantly plugging and unplugging the VGA cable. I leave the display on all the time because my keyboard and mouse are hubbed to it.

Anyway, long story short, I have yet to experience any problems.

3. roderick thread starter macrumors member

ok, i just wanna make sure i'm not doing harm to either the monitor or computer by doing that. Thanks!