Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

advres

Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Boston
OK,

So I recently got a corrupt user account while using FileVault. I have since banished the offending app and fixed my user account. Learn from my mistakes "AVOID FILEVAULT LIKE THE PLAGUE"!

Now, I have noticed something weird. When I try to load/save/import/yada, yada, yada I get 2 desktops in the left pain of my dialog boxes. The upper one I can not click on and seems to just be an icon that is unselectable but the second one down is the direct link to my desktop. Has anyone seen this or have heard anything about it? I am pretty handy with Macs for I have been using them for quite I long time and this is new to me. Help a brother out.

dual_desktop.jpg

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
advres said:
OK,

So I recently got a corrupt user account while using FileVault. I have since banished the offending app and fixed my user account. Learn from my mistakes "AVOID FILEVAULT LIKE THE PLAGUE"!

Now, I have noticed something weird. When I try to load/save/import/yada, yada, yada I get 2 desktops in the left pain of my dialog boxes. The upper one I can not click on and seems to just be an icon that is unselectable but the second one down is the direct link to my desktop. Has anyone seen this or have heard anything about it? I am pretty handy with Macs for I have been using them for quite I long time and this is new to me. Help a brother out.

dual_desktop.jpg
The Desktop is a special folder, but it is just a folder. You may have accidentally created an alias for the Desktop folder. You may have also accidentally dragged your Desktop or that of another user to your sidebar. On the other hand, gremlins may have added the second Desktop to your account. Whatever happened, just drag the inoperable Desktop from the side bar and be done with it.

advres

Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Boston
MisterMe said:
The Desktop is a special folder, but it is just a folder. You may have accidentally created an alias for the Desktop folder. You may have also accidentally dragged your Desktop or that of another user to your sidebar. On the other hand, gremlins may have added the second Desktop to your account. Whatever happened, just drag the inoperable Desktop from the side bar and be done with it.

That sounds fine in theory but like I said before, it is not in every finder window. I think I am smart enough to figure that one out for myself. :rolleyes:

The problem I am having and the reason for me being stumped is because it is only in the load/save dialog box. Like if I were to press command+s right now in safari I would see the double desktop but if I clicked my desktop and hit command+shift+A to get to my Applications folder it will not be there. This does not only happen when I use shortcuts either, it happens all the time.

I am stumped!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
advres said:
OK,

dual_desktop.jpg
Sounds like your ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist file is corrupt. Trash it, then log out and back in and see if all is normal.

advres

Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Boston
wrldwzrd89 said:
Sounds like your ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist file is corrupt. Trash it, then log out and back in and see if all is normal.

You are the F*cking Man!! Thanks! I have trashed prefs for other things before but didn't even think of doing it in this situation.

Thanks again! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.