Desktop doesn't fit on HDTV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tcdb28, Mar 26, 2009.

1. tcdb28 macrumors newbie

tcdb28

I have a MacBook Pro (early 2008) and i am trying to use my Sanyo HDTV (i don't know the exact size but probably close to 30") as an external display. I am using a Belkin DVI to HDMI cable. My problem is that when i hook up the TV it cuts off part of the desktop image (mainly the menu bar since i put my dock on the side). Is there any way to fix this? Such as how can you adjust screen position on a tv maybe? (and yes i tried the displays preference pain but i couldn't get the desired results).

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

In the Displays preference pane you tried setting the Overscan option, right? You didn't really specify, but that fixes the problem 99% of the time.

Otherwise, are you using the native resolution of the display?

3. belvdr macrumors 603

You might also try hitting the PIX button on the TV remote to see if that helps.

4. tcdb28 thread starter macrumors newbie

tcdb28

I didn't see an overscan option but i didn't know about it so i wasn't looking. I will look as soon as possible. I just switched resolutions around but i couldn't find a widescreen with the right resolution that i wanted.

5. tcdb28 thread starter macrumors newbie

tcdb28

I tried that. It didn't really help any at all.

6. tcdb28 thread starter macrumors newbie

tcdb28

The displays preference pane doe not contain an overscan option with or with out the display plugged in. Where is it located?

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

8. tcdb28 thread starter macrumors newbie

tcdb28

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Are you extending or mirroring your displays? Not sure if that would matter, but it could be worth a shot in trying both.

Also, what OS are you using?

ft

10. tcdb28 thread starter macrumors newbie

tcdb28

I tried both and it didn't make a difference. I am using OS 10.5.6 (leopard).

11. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I think 10.5 is the issue. I remember reading a few threads where folks were talking about not having that "options" tab. I think the common thread was that they were all on Leopard.

I'm not sure where Apple hid the overscan button on Leopard or even if there is one.

In any event, does your TV have an zero-overscan (aka dot-by-dot; 1:1 pixel mapping, etc) mode? If so, try that to see if it helps. Also, I've read where using a PC input (DVI or VGA) has fewer problems on some TVs, so if you have DVI or VGA, try that.

ft

ADDED - if all else fails, try DisplayConfigX or SwitchResX

12. tcdb28 thread starter macrumors newbie

tcdb28

Is there maybe a free solution? And i don't think it has zero-overscan