Desktop doesn't refresh

Discussion in 'macOS' started by koswo, Apr 24, 2007.

1. koswo macrumors member

I notice that since a few days my desktop doesn't refresh automatically. When I download a file via Safari and the download is finished, the "download-in-progress"-icon is on my desktop, but the file itself isn't visible. When I browse the desktop using Xfolders, I see the file. When I reboot it's ok.
    Anyone else had this problem? How do I fix this?
    Thanks!

2. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I had a similar problem last night. With my external USB plugged in, the icon for the drive disappeared but it was still mounted in Finder. Not sure what the problem is but I've never experienced it before.

Could be the update?

3. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Perhaps it is a bug and it might be addressed with a Mac OS X software update. If you are connected to the internet then go to the :apple: (Apple) menu and select "Software Update" and update Mac OS X (and I recommend that you install everything else that appears as available software updates too).

If your software is up-to-date you still have trouble then you can relaunch finder by selecting "Force Quit..." from the :apple: (Apple) menu and then selecting "Finder" and then clicking the "Relaunch" button.

4. t1937r0 macrumors 6502a

Actually, I've noticed a few things like this of late. Seems like it started after the most recent security update.

1. Files that do not show up on the desktop, or indeed within a finder window, but other applications, such as the ls command in terminal can see them.
    2. CDs/DVDs that appear to mount, but do not show up on the desktop or in the finder's left pane. In some cases, other applications, such as DVD player, etc do not notice the CD/DVD was inserted, but again, using commands in terminal (df in this case) shows that the media was in fact mounted, and you can use "cd" and "ls" to see the stuff on the media.
    3. After inserting and using a CD or DVD, selecting the corresponding icon from the desktop and hitting cmd-e (to eject) causes the CD/DVD to disappear from the desktop, but the disk doesn't actually eject. You have to go into disk utility, select the optical device entry in the left pane and hit the eject button before the disk will be ejected.

All of this on a g4 powerbook and an intel core duo mac mini

So far, a reboot has always fixed each of these problems, but they happen again over time, even with previously working CDs/DVDs.