Desktop files gone????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macthismacthat, May 30, 2012.

1. macthismacthat macrumors member

macthismacthat

Hello everybody,
    15 minutes ago i wanted to move some files a little to the bottom of the screen and I selected them and tried to drag them down with the cursor. When I did that, OS X 10.7.4 asked my password, I wrote it and pressed OK. After that only 5 folders and 3 files were left on the Desktop. The funny thing is that the USB icon is gone too. I had 20 folders and 13 files on my Desktop. I repeat that I only moved with my pointer,I did not press "Delete" or anything else,and "No" they are not in the Trash. Please help.Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What does it show in Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on the desktop:

In Finder you may also be able to click Edit > Undo Move (or Command-Z)

3. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I don't know why you were forced to type in your password unless you were removing (deleting) some big files. Folders don't request this unless it's an application.

If the USB is now missing why don't you try unplugging it and plugging it back in. Maybe you put them on that drive and it ejected prematurely (no pun intended).

4. macthismacthat thread starter macrumors member

macthismacthat

I forgot to say thanks for this suggestion...it worked. They were probably moved to another location aside from the folders on the desktop(because I've checked each one of them)
    :)
    Regards.