desktop gesture a real pain and only working sometimes

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
thumb and 3 fingers !! what a pain this is, and it only works for me at certain times, sometimes not at all, running 4 month old macbook pro, anyone else having problems with my least fav feature?? its driving me nuts !

serendipitytech

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Some gestures not working

I don't know if it's a setting thing or what, but I've been having some issues with the gestures as well. For the most part they are fine, but switching between the desktop spaces isn't working. I thought I was able to at one point use a swipe to switch between desktop spaces, but I can't anymore.

If I'm in mission control I can, but outside of mission control I cannot change desktop spaces. I can't believe Apple would restrict switching to within mission control only.

I've been having some other adjustment issues with the new OS as well..but those belong in other posts I'm sure.

*EDIT*
So I realized that there are some pretty simple options in the trackpad control panel that affect things severely. For example:
Swipt between pages: if set to 2 fingers, you can browse safari history this way. If you change it to 3 fingers, you can't. It also changes from Scroll to Swipe with the different fingers. I'm guessing that refers to the speed of your movement.
Swipe Between full-screen apps: change this option and you can't switch between desktop spaces anymore.

These little options make some major changes to functionality it would seem.

Last edited:

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
I have zero issues with this. It works no problem every time I try it using the magic trackpad. In fact, I leave all five fingers on the trackpad at the same time since the software doesn't seem to detect the 5th finger. I also find that you do not have to pinch in all fingers completely together from the spread out finger position to make the gesture work. I pinch my fingers together maybe half way to a "full pinch" position and it works like a charm.

Lykos1986

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2010
I have also problems with the gestures. Sometimes it seams that the OS mistakes the two with three fingers swipe and vice versa…