desktop help...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by breahnuh, Dec 15, 2008.

1. breahnuh macrumors newbie

Ok so I'm very new to mac, lol. and I need some help.

So I've downloaded a few things like transmission and miro, and when i do i get these little icons on my desktop... I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of those, but to keep the program?

Thank you!!!

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You're probably talking about disk images, which are the main way Mac software is distributed. Here's how it works:

1. When you download something like Transmission, you're downloading a .dmg file to your Downloads folder. This is a "disk image." It's a file that behaves like it's a disk you put in your computer. It shows up on the desktop like it's a drive, with the program in it.
    2. When this appears, open it and copy the program inside to your Applications folder on your hard drive. Many disk images now have a background image and a link to your Applications folder showing you to do this.
    3. Once you've copied the app, you can "Eject" the disk image and delete the .dmg file from your Downloads folder. Now the application is in your hard drive's Applications folder, and you can run it from there.

Hope that cleared things up.

3. breahnuh thread starter macrumors newbie