Desktop icon for iPhone in OSX?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cheeseadiddle, Oct 20, 2007.

1. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

I'm new to the iMac and OSX, so please forgive me if this has been answered before or if this sounds a little dumb. I did search and couldn't find and answer...

When I plug in my iPhone to sync and charge, no icon appears on my iMac desktop. Yet when i plug in my iPod, an icon does appear? Is this the way everyone else's iPhone is working when plugged in, or is mine misbehaving? If so, how do I get an icon to come up on the desktop when it syncs with iTunes?

2. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

I'm only guessing because I don't have one yet, but I think the iPhone doesn't allow disk use? So maybe that's why.

3. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

correct. no icon is normal.

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Yes it is. Apple does not have a "disk mode" for the iPhone like they do for the iPod, so no icon appears on the desktop and the only way to interact with it (by default) is through iTunes.

iTunes will detect the iPhone automatically within iTunes.

If you wish to access the iPhone in "disk mode", you need to purchase a program like iPhone Drive.

5. 4ndr3w macrumors regular

6. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

How can it void your warranty? it doesn't modify the phone's firmware or OS, to my knowledge, so Apple can't say you "modded" or "hacked" your iPhone.

And since it doesn't "mod" or "hack" your iPhone, it can't do any harm to it to the point it would be "bricked".

7. SPQR macrumors newbie

On the iPhone Drive website : "Does iPhoneDrive change system files or do anything that would void the iPhone's warranty?

A: No, iPhoneDrive will store your files in the media section of the iPhone's disk, and will not change the iPhone system"