Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelCory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2008
eastern USA
I am helping a friend out with her mac. She by accidentally removed her desktop icon under devices and needs to get it back. The best way for me to elaborate is to explain, you know when you are in a program...and you want to open a document on your desktop, so you use that programs open function and you look on the left for your desktop icon which falls under Devices at the top left...well that desktop icon is missing.

I tried searching for devices folder on the mac but was unable to find it, I was just going to drag a desktop shortcut into this folder...

Does anyone know a fix for this?:confused:

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
What do you mean by "her desktop icon"? If you mean her Desktop Folder(whose contents are visible on the desktop anyway, so you can just double click on it without having to open anything), then open her Home Folder and just drag her Desktop Folder back into the sidebar.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Finder > Preferences > Sidebar

Find it in the list and check it.

Those icons can easily (often by accident) be dragged off of the Sidebar, and they just disappear. That's the way you're supposed to do it on purpose.

MichaelCory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2008
eastern USA
wow, that was sooo easy, so all i had to do was click on window i had open and then click finder. Macs make everything easy. I was thinking i had to find the system folder and then add a shortcut icon....whew! thanks for the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.