Desktop icon spacing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smithy1185, Mar 15, 2011.

1. smithy1185, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

smithy1185 macrumors member

smithy1185

I have a mid 2008 MBP that I hook up to my Gateway 2401 monitor at 1920x1200. I have a lot of things on my desktop(screenshots, files, etc...). My view options are 48x48, snap to grid, and grid spacing slider to the right.

I used to be able to have 12 items in a column on the desktop and after I restarted my computer today, I can only fit 11 items in a column. Its like the space right above the dock is no longer useable. If I try to put anything there it jumps back. This is driving me crazy and I'm hoping it's just some simple little thing that somehow got changed.

Can anyone please shed some light on this?

*edit* Nevermind, for some reason it suddenly works now after trying countless times.

*edit* It's been happening again for the past couple weeks. Anyone know what the problem is?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Is your Dock hidden? I'm able to place things all the way at the bottom with my Dock hidden. When I access the Dock, it covers the icon at the bottom.

3. smithy1185 thread starter macrumors member

smithy1185

No, the dock is not hidden. If I do hide the dock I can place items lower where they used to be but when I unhide and click clean up, that item jumps up.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, that doesn't happen for me (OS 10.5.8). I wonder if your Desktop plist file has become corrupt.

5. smithy1185 thread starter macrumors member

smithy1185

Ok thanks. I should back up the current one and delete it?

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

Drag that file to your Desktop, then Restart the computer. A new one will be created. You can always put the old one back, if there's any reason to do so.

7. smithy1185 thread starter macrumors member

smithy1185

Ok, I moved it out of that folder and restarted which gave me the default background. It did not fix the problem but when I checked in the preferences folder, it did not create a new com.apple.desktop.plist file so I moved the old back in without needing to replace a new one.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's odd, incredible, darn near unbelievable. What Account were you logged in under, and which User folder did you move the file out of? You don't have to give away your Account name, the two should be one and the same.

You could try creating a new Account and logging in from it to see if that fixes your problem.

9. smithy1185 thread starter macrumors member

smithy1185

I was under my account which is the admin. Thanks for all of your help. I'll try a new account in the morning and see if that fixes it.

I thought it was odd too that a new plist file was not created. I've deleted those in the past for certain apps and it's always created new ones.

10. smithy1185 thread starter macrumors member

smithy1185

Well I created another account and the problem persists. It just strikes me as odd that at some point something changed. Maybe next time I swing by the Apple store, I'll try it out. I have access to a MacBook but it has 10.5.8 so that doesn't help.

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603