Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTCGiants56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Hello. I am experiencing a very odd problem. Starting two days ago, after about 20 minutes of use on my mac, some of the icons on my desktop will suddenly have distorted pixels, as well as all of the open windows will have a black box surrounding it. I am almost positive that this has nothing to do with my video hardware going bad, rather something corrupted in the operating system. This has happened sometime after I had installed the Adobe CS5 photoshop trial. I have recently uninstalled it, but this problem still persists. As soon as I log out, or restart the computer, everything is back to normal. When the 15-20 minute mark comes, all of a sudden everything starts getting distorted. I am also running Mac OS X 10.6.3 currently.

Here is a screencap of what is happening: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/637/distoredpixels.png

In the image you can see that the bottom dock is corrupted looking as well but the icons stay in tact. This is very odd.

Any help or suggestions on fixing this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Macmaniac411

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
This is a problem with flash player 10.1 and safari on intel x3100 chips. Which were on basically any mac that doesn't have a graphics card in them. There isn't a solution as of yet. It happened after you installed CS5 because CS5 upgraded flash player. I was having the same problem so i just switched to firefox since i got CS5 and have not had a single instance of this problem. There are also many threads on this issue. We need to bring this to apple and adobe's attention. Another reason to hate flash eh :D

EDIT: Also the reason uninstalling the trial didn't fix it is because flash player would not downgrade if you just uninstalled it. You can manually downgrade flash player to 10 and that will fix it but i don't know how that will work with CS5 which is why i just switched to firefox

JTCGiants56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Thanks for the response. I knew that the culprit had to be flash but upon doing research I could barely find anything on the issue. I'm downgrading to flash player 9.0 as I type this. After it's done I'll go about my normal business and see if the graphic distortion comes back. If I don't reply again then you'll know I have fixed it. Thanks again.

macmaniac14

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
have the same problem ....

bro i get the same problem ,,, i even took the computer to the apple store they said there was no hardware issues , however my problem started happening after i dropped the computer .... but it wasnt that bad ... i was just worried it could of've been a hardware problem .... but since apple said it was good with the hardware i assumed it was a software issue so i reinstalled the OS again (snow leopard) and it worked just fine till a week later i came back again .... but i get the distored desktop after i play world of warcraft after like an hour or 2 after ..... so could my problem be the same as yours ...??? adobe ?? the safari works just fine is just when i play games ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.