Desktop icons and folders missing! Updated!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gloor, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hi,
    yesterday I wasn't able to click on my desktop icon in finder so I thought its just something silly. I turned off the computer and went to work. When I came back, I turned it back on, to realize that all icons are gone except my HDD, TM HDD and Windows HDD. Everything else is gone.
    I entered the time machine and all back ups are gone too except today's and yesterday's. On yesterday's back up I do have the desktop folders and icon untouched but not on todays.
    I tried permission, PRM reset, Onyx maintenance and cleaning but nothing is working. When I put a file name in the finder to find it it doesn't find it.

I searched the forums and found some similar issue with 10.5.2 but nothing with 10.5.7 so is there anyone who knows the solution?
    I also tried mroogle but that didn't give me much of a help either.
    Any idea?

Thanks

2. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

no ideas? Is there another program that could help except Onyx?

3. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I found the files but I would like to know the best way how to recover them and possible explanation if someone knows.

The files (all desktop) was put to user/.ssh/desktop

I had to allow "show hidden files" feature in order to find them.

Now, does anyone know what has happened? Is there an efficient way how to recover them except from drag and drop?

I would appreciate any help. Thank you