Desktop icons getting thrown into trash after waking from sleep mode, possible virus?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsprimal, Oct 6, 2010.

1. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

Hey all, the topic pretty much says it all. i put my mbp to sleep last night and this morning when i opened it to wake it up, i heard the trash sound go off, and i realized my counter strike source icon was missing. i opened the trash and their it was. strange...i don't know if it may have been some of the sites i've visited in the past that may have given me spyware or anything sketchy. anyone had this issue before?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've never seen malware with that type of behavior in OS X.

Have you been installing lots of shareware apps/utilities, after supplying your username and password?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a virus. Mac Virus/Malware Info (if you don't read it all, at least read the last line)

Has it only happened the one time, with one icon? Or is it happening frequently, with multiple icons? If only once, it's possible you accidentally dragged it to the trash without realizing it.

4. dsprimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

I haven't come across any apps/utilities that have asked me for my user/pw.

It happened just once, and it was only 1 icon. I don't think I accidentally dragged it into the trash, i didn't touch the trackpad or anything. I just simply opened the mbp up and it made the trash noise lol.

5. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Do you have secondary click enabled?

You most likely secondary clicked the icon then clicked on "move to trash" in the drop down menu.

I have done that before when I had tap to click enabled.

Solved by turning off tap to click.

EDIT: The way Mac OS X awakens from sleep often brings your Mac to a state a few minutes prior to it falling asleep.

Did you accidentally move the app to the trash and remove it prior to your Mac sleeping?

If you did, your Mac may have awaken and tried to match the most recent cached state, during which the app was in the trash, so it moved the app to the trash upon awaking to match that state. I had this type of behaviour occur with my Mac playing audio while it was waking up that was playing right before it slept. It's the ghost in the machine. LOL