Desktop icons moving to the right

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by megk., May 13, 2010.

1. megk. macrumors newbie

I've tried everything posted here... terminal, filezilla, Finder view options, etc. Nothing has worked. After startup, my desktop icons all move to the right. This just started happening a couple of days ago. I'm on OS 10.6.3. Any ideas?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you have "Arrange by: Snap to Grid" on now when you previously did not? Press Command + J to bring up the window and select the "None" option from the drop-down menu.

3. megk. thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

corrupt plist?

HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

Move the above file to your Desktop.
    Rearrange your icons again.
    Restart. This makes a new default plist file.
    Better? If so, Trash the plist file on the Desktop.

5. megk. thread starter macrumors newbie

I followed your instrux... but the icons still re-set after start up. I double checked my View Options and that is still set to None. Any other possibilities?

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Try a different User Account. If you don't have another one, create one using Accounts in System Preferences.

7. megk. thread starter macrumors newbie

No success

Tried to log in a different user (created a new one) but that new user had no deskop.pll file to drag out of the Prefs folder.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, the idea was that if the original account you were using was corrupt somewhere, creating a new one would make the problem disappear. That would be without manipulating anything, just logging in and moving forward without the problem.

So, I guess you're saying that after logging in under the new account, you still had the problem. However, every User Account does have its own Desktop plist file. If you didn't find it, you weren't looking in the right place.

The next thing to try would be to download the 10.6.3 Combo Updater from the Apple site's Downloads page. Install that over your existing OS and see if it cleans things up.