Desktop icons on determinated place?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eriX, May 11, 2007.

1. eriX macrumors member

Hi all!

I´am new on Macrumors and basically on Mac OS X too I have two doubts on Mac OS X, those must be a stupids questions maybe but anyway I´ll to ask about it :p

How can i leave desktop icons (Drives) on a specific place each time that i restart or turn on my mac? As the attached image shows as example

And the other one is that i have a folder icon labeled with "NETWORK NAME" wich appears with a different icon (Right Network Icon) when i reboot. I think that this is a simple "alias" linked to the original and hidden Network shortcut but i can delete it cause nothing happens if i try to drag it to Trash. I tried to change permissions to delete it but it sends me an error "error (195)" or something like that. How can i fix that to finder stops to show me this folder or alias icon again?

Both things don´t bother me but maybe somebody can help ;)

Attached Files:

2. kostia macrumors regular

I use a program called Desktility (the OS X update of the old OS 9 program Desktop Resetter) to maintain all my icons in the right place. It's not free, but I have come to the point where I hate not having it, so it's worth it to me.

Unfortunately the only way I've found to keep icons in the right place automatically (without Desktility) is to let Finder sort them alphabetically and line them up to the grid. Obviously this won't work with your (very cool) desktop setup.

Not sure what to suggest with your alias problem. Have you tried deleting it with Terminal?

3. eriX thread starter macrumors member

hi Kostia thanks for aswering, can you lead me to delete an item with terminal? I don´t wanna mess with it and commit and error deleting items :p I hate to use third party apps to do very simple things like this but i will have to try for now, thanks for recommendation .

4. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

I dont think you can remove the network link.

As you can see.. the Network directory has 2 links in it. Library and Servers. There are also other directories and links that are put by the system on that directory automatically. You do not want to mess with that :) It might not cause any problems, but it's not recommended imo.

Is there any reason you dont want it to appear?

5. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

totally unrelated... did you buy that porter cd in itunes?

6. eriX thread starter macrumors member

No, i don´t want to delete the Network link as you can see it´s duplicated, in the pic that i post the selected one is only an alias from the original link I want to delete that alias cause it only drive me to the same folder than the original Network link.

The Porter album was a CD rip from the original one, a nice Mexican band whos sing on spanish and english too. I recommend you ;)

7. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

oh I see.. I didn't notice you had 2 networks links.
    you'll have to open terminal and then write:

cd /

after that line.. do a:

ls -l

you will see the list of all the directories and files on your root folder. Then, you should identify which is the wrong Network directory/link or what ever it is..

do you know why you have 2 networks in it? have you been playing around with the system?

oh, and by the way, if you need me to talk in spanish, I can do that too :)

8. NJuul macrumors 6502

Highly unrelated but...
    Extremely cool desktop!
    Is it homemade? If not, can you post a link to where one may download icons and wallpapers?

9. eriX thread starter macrumors member

Sorry Njuul but i don´t get it :p What you mean exactly with "Madehome"? It´s my actual desktop and if you want icons and wallpapers just send a PM and i will give it you.

10. eriX thread starter macrumors member

No se por que tengo ese acceso directo pero no me aparece con los comandos que me indicaste :(

drwxr-xr-x 3 eRIX eRIX 102 May 12 03:59 AU_Log
    drwxrwxr-x 64 root admin 2176 May 12 04:20 Applications
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 6144 May 12 00:26 Desktop DB
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root admin 4098 May 8 04:00 Desktop DF
    drwxrwxr-t 46 root admin 1564 May 10 04:54 Library
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 512 May 12 04:47 Network
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Apr 28 03:59 System
    drwxrwxr-t 5 root admin 170 Apr 28 01:53 Users
    drwxrwxrwt 8 root admin 272 May 12 04:47 Volumes
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root admin 136 Apr 28 01:11 automount
    drwxr-xr-x 40 root wheel 1360 Apr 28 03:57 bin
    drwxrwxr-t 2 root admin 68 Jan 30 2006 cores
    dr-xr-xr-x 2 root wheel 512 May 12 04:47 dev
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 11 Apr 28 01:15 etc -> private/etc
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 9 May 12 04:47 mach -> /mach.sym
    -r--r--r-- 1 root admin 603980 May 12 04:47 mach.sym
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 4347724 Feb 22 22:54 mach_kernel
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 204 May 12 04:47 private
    drwxr-xr-x 63 root wheel 2142 Apr 28 04:24 sbin
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 11 Apr 28 01:17 tmp -> private/tmp
    drwxr-xr-x 10 root wheel 340 Apr 28 03:47 usr

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 11 Apr 28 01:17 var -> private/var

Por cierto el Desktility o no me funciona o deplano no supe usarlo, cuando reinicio los iconos me sigues apareciendo alineados arriba y a la derecha :( Solo lo abro y pulso el boton de "save position" y nada. Es que lo tengo que poner para que inicie automaticamente al encender la Mac?

Otra pregunta, me acabo de bajar e instalar el Antivirus ClamXav. Sera necesario o sera mejor instala el Litlle Snitch o ambos?

Gracias Mr.Texor!

11. eriX thread starter macrumors member

OK i know now how Desktility works but not useful at least.
    This is what i get when i try to change permissions to unlock that alias I really want to delete that unuseful alias :mad:

Attached Files:

12. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

No se como funciona desktility :(
    Si en el terminal no aparece doble link, es porque en realidad no existe en el disco. Ha de ser un problema con Finder.

Desafortunadamente, no se como resolver ese problema.. Lo unico que se me occure es que vayas a Applications -> Utilities -> Disk utility

En ese programa, selecciona el disco duro, y usa el boton de "verify disk permissions". Aunque para ser sincero, no creo que resuelva el problema :(

13. eriX thread starter macrumors member

Gracias Mr. Texor en realidad no me molesta ese alias pero seguramente paso por andar jugando cone el linux y el rockbox para el ipod, como seguramente le paso algo más al OS me dispongo a formatear y ya no jugar con el Tiger de nuevo :p Aún asi me da gusto que macrumors sea uno de los pocos foros donde la gente es amable y se dispone a ayudar cosa que no me pasaba en otros foros para PC´s. De hecho ya no quiero saber nada de una PC :mad:

Gracias...

14. eriX thread starter macrumors member

Hi again! I´ve format my OS partition and that strange shortcut is there yet :( I apply the Zero writting to all data on my OS partition. I did something wrong? Some data can be there anyway if i apply this kind of format process? I need help with that please!