Desktop icons rearranging themselves

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by Pjrufus, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Pjrufus macrumors 6502

Macbook Pro, Sierra 10.12.3, Thunderbolt display connected.

This just started, and I haven't installed anything new or even updated anything for a few months at least. I don't turn it off or restart. I wake up the computer to work, and the icons look like a deck of cards that were thrown in the air. I have to keep putting my desktop folders back in the dated order I need them.

Is there any way to fix this? I searched Google, and found some rather complicated coding fix for earlier IOS, and a few comments that suggest it's something you have to live with. It's a minor thing, but making me a little crazy.

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

try fiddling with the "Show View Options" in the Finder menu (command-J). change things up, see what happens. and (of course), reboot...

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If that suggestion doesn't fix it, the next step I would take is to delete com.apple.desktop.plist from the User's[that's you - whatever you called your Home folder] "Library" folder. Then you need to Restart.

4. Pjrufus thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, arrange icons is/was set to none. Switched it to alpha, restarted, then back to none and restart. It was rearranging itself at random times, so could change again today or in a week.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 2, 2017 ---

Thanks, if it does it again, will try this.