Desktop Icons seperation

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kolax, Apr 22, 2007.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Seem to have a problem with my icons being squashed together and not being in perfect seperation.

[​IMG]

Notice the bottom 3 icons are closer together than the top 3.

This causes my external hard drive info (i.e. capacity and available space) to end up on top of the icon below it.

Is there a cure for this?

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Click on a open space on the desktop, then View > Show View Options...> Snap to Grid. If that doesn't solve the problem, try one of the Keep Arranged By... with whichever criteria works best for you.

3. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

hi, to the op, how do you get the hard drive icon to show how much hard drive space your using?

thanks

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Finder (click on desktop): View -> Show View Options (cmd-J), then check the Show item info option (and the Show icon preview option is also nice).

5. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

thanks!

one thing though, what does the show icon preview option do? when i checked it, it didn't do anything.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Maybe I'm blind, but I think that what you're seeing as a distance discrepancy is actually an optical illusion of sorts. Those bottom three icons have a second row of text that is making them look as if they're closer together when I believe that the icons themselves (minus the labels) are in fact equidistant. :eek:

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

It will show thumbnails of .jpgs, .pngs and the like. If you just have folders, links and disks on your desktop, it won't do anything to those.

8. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

that's cool too. thanks a lot and happy earth day!

9. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Interesting theory but the top icon (my HD) has a second line of text and the icon below that is spaced out correctly though..!

I tried the Snap To Grid, didn't work, but when I selected Arrange By... it sorted them out. But when I untick it so I can organise my icons again, it went back to the way it was

I played around with it (I ticked label position right and then below) and it screwed up the icons, but when I came to organising them again they are correctly spaced out now.

Strange but ah well its sorted!

Cheers for suggestions.

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Try snap to grid again, then select the icons and drag them a little...do they snap into the grid then?

If not, try just going with an Arrange By...that keeps them in the order closest to that which you are used to. You might have to get creative with folder names or labeling them.