Desktop Icons won't rearrange!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tmcafe, Jun 17, 2010.

1. tmcafe macrumors newbie

Hello Mac fellows,

Recently I got a MBP 13 with OS X 10.6.4. My previous macs were eMac, iBook, an old iMac, etc. None of them exhibited this behavior.

So what I've noticed that puzzles me is that if one of the desktop icons is removed (either item put in the trash, or CD or flash drive removed), its former spot stays blank. The only way to fill the blank is to go into View and Arrange by... (in my case I want them to stay arranged by kind).

I had everything migrated from the eMac onto the MBP. Sure enough, on the old eMac the desktop always stayed the way I wanted, and the items/icons rearranged themselves automatically after any item was removed. Also I noticed that on the MBP when I insert a CD or flash drive their icons go in the last spot, not in the first after the HD icon, as in the standard arrangement by kind. Again, in order to have them switch position I have to go to View, Arrange by...

Sorry if this is not a big deal but it's irritating. The Apple guy I asked about it said it was a feature of the new OS (Snow Leopard). I hope it's not the case.

Any tips appreciated. TIA

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I thought that was normal behavior--my iMac has always handled removed items that way.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Right-click the Desktop > Show View Options > Arrange by:

4. tmcafe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. Problem is, in all the previous versions of OS X (from the first one to the one before Snow Leopard I guess--the eMac was from 2003 and went through Panther, Tiger, and probably the next one up) the icons just rearranged themselves. I didn't have to do anything, nor would the current arrangement mode change upon inserting a CD or flash drive.

To me having to rearrange the icons every time an item is removed is Windows-like counterintuitive (if items are in column view, for instance, removing one of them won't leave a blank, kind of like the spring loaded shelves at the store).

Still wondering and hoping this isn't a feature in SL. :confused:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you follow the directions I posted, it will restore the function you seek. It's like a preference setting. You don't have to do it each time; just once. It will stay whatever way you set it, until you change it yourself.

6. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

LOL. I don't know about the OP, but at least I learned something new.

7. tmcafe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!!! It worked! Sorry I got confused the first time you posted, as the prompt "Arrange by..." was the same as the one you get from the View menu. I noticed that the actual prompt when you do the desktop clicking as you suggested is Keep arranged by... So that's the difference that did the trick. All the options from the View menu will just arrange the icons but not keep that arrangement. It seems that the default arrangement maybe none or snap to grid, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Glad if others could learn something in the process too :)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad it worked for you, and thanks for coming back and saying so! Far too many times people come here, ask a question, get an answer, then they disappear without posting ever again, so we don't know if they "got it"!

9. tmcafe thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure, I always try to do my share. Thanks again. I'll probably have some more silly q's like this one soon :)

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, hopefully this can help answer a few before you need to ask:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

11. tmcafe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Will have a look. I've been using only mac pretty much on a daily basis since 2002, but as I'm not a computer person (like it's hard to tell :D) any handy info can be useful. :)

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The title wasn't intended to belittle anyone or make assumptions about their knowledge or experience level ... just consider it "Helpful Information for Any Mac User" :D

Edit: Fixed it for you!

13. tmcafe thread starter macrumors newbie

No worries, I'm too cool to be that sensitive :D No really, thanks for your help. I saved the link already (gosh, now I see you've changed the title already, no kidding :) ) very useful.