Desktop icons

brbac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Hello

I have a 2013 MB Pro 13" with the latest Mavricks. I have this problem since the first day i had it. Every time i drag an icon / folder on my desktop, it places it randomly on different location as i put it, sometimes half of the icon is out of the desktop limits. Its a minor problem but it is very annoying. I posted a screen shot as an example. Tried snap to grid and accours again. Tnxxx in advance.

Attachments

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Snap to grid should have done the trick, this may be a bug.

Try right-clicking on your desktop an clicking "Show View Options", then in the "Sort by:" dropdown, choose "Snap to grid".

For some reason, this option appears to not be linked to the other "Snap to grid" when you right-click and go directly to the "Sort by" submenu, so this one may work.

brbac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Tnx for reply :) did try that, but the problem still accours :(

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
You may want to try just docking everything. And keeping your desktop totally clean. I love how pretty mine looks clutter free

Attachments

Last edited:

willgreene99

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
DFW
The mouse right click is only for the current session, I think. But the second image I posted, will be the default. Only one should be checked, either the first image or the second image. I went with the second option, rebooted and everything I create or drag to the desktop, gets shoved into alignment from where I originally dropped it.

Last edited:

brbac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
tnxxx for advice and help, but the problem is still active, after all suggestions...its a bug for shire, but trying to find a way to fix it...:eek:

richard2

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2010
England, United Kingdom
Try the following:

1. Copy the following text:

Code:
    if [[ -f "${HOME}/Desktop/.DS_Store" ]]; then
        rm "${HOME}/Desktop/.DS_Store"
    fi

defaults delete com.apple.finder DesktopViewSettings

killall -HUP Finder
  2. Open Terminal.
  3. Paste the text and then press return.

brbac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Try a PRAm and SMC Reset"

PRAM:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

SMC:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

After you've performed both steps separately ( Very Important)

Then re-boot your Mac and on a blank area of the desktop, right click, and choose clean up by kind.

If that works, post backs and I'll give you a script that will ensure it does it every time.
Tnx for help. Did all that, still the issue comes up. If i choose any sorting other than SNAP TO GRID, its ok, but i like to snap to grid most :)