Desktop Items Customization for Spaces

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Necter, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Necter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I made an attempt to find an answer for this question before posting, yet to no avail.

I use Spaces often and really want to be able to customize/rearrange my desktop items unique to each Space. I keep all my work/school items in one space and media applications in another - I'd like to do the same with my desktop icons.

If someone has already asked this I apologize.

--Jordan

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, you can't change your desktop based on the space, because that's not how the desktop works. (The Desktop is a single folder, anything in that folder will show up on the Desktop.)

You could, however, just keep an open window in each space with the items you need available, which would be better than storing a bunch of items on the Desktop anyways. If you want something a bit nicer looking, DragThing or A-Dock can give you a second Dock in each space and you can keep things organized in them instead.

jW

3. Necter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response.

I suppose you are right, I could just keep the Finder folder I need up. Just curious, since the icons are stored in the "User / Desktop" folder, would it be feasible for someone to create an app that creates a folder for each Space? i.e. "User / Desktop 1" .. allowing you to customize the desktop icons for each space?

Just curious :)

4. BobZune macrumors 6502a