Desktop JUMP review!!!! Great App.

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Gjk77, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Gjk77 macrumors newbie

In a word, outstanding! Set up was simple and I honestly feel it's the best $19.99 I ever spent. I was able to PRINT off my iPad through my wifi network as well as access several external drives and two separate computers with remarkable ease. Best app to date.

Highly recommended. I will never need to drag my laptop out on the road again. I used an Apple product to run my windows network.

2. YOKOJP macrumors member

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Actually, now that they've added VNC support, Jump Desktop does support OS X, and even Linux.

4. gillybean macrumors 6502a

Wow, a new forum user with only 2 posts: 1 of them bumping the Remote Desktop Apps topic to say how great Jump is, and 1 of them a new topic proclaiming how great Jump is.

You're like the 10th new forum user that's posted about how great Jump is - it really makes me suspect that the developers behind Jump Desktop are creating new shill accounts here to market their App.

The Remote Desktop Apps topic had fairly balanced coverage of the apps that people used until like a month ago when suddenly there were like 3-4 pages worth of posts just commenting on how amazing Jump is. As the poll in that topic indicates, very few people actually use Jump. But suspiciously it's getting tons of new forum users raving about it...

5. iThinman macrumors regular

Yeah, actually, I'm fairly new too and i use Jump and I recommended it to a bunch of my poker player friends that love to play more than one table at a time and crave a good desktop app. Also, guess what, the iPad is three months old and most apps are less, much less, than that old. New users surprise you why?

Being prudent is one thing, accusing every new poster of being a shill is another.

That said. Jump is fairly awesome. I dig it a bunch. I have 5760x1080 desktops at both home and work and Jump has been the only one I can actually control a desktop that size with. The round mouse grabby thing is awesome and I'm still figuring out some of the other features.

One thing That does drive me nuts, but I'm fairly sure it's an RDP issue, is that my windows get moved around, even though my resolutions match. I pop in and out a ton to my desktop while walking around at work and it's a pain to move windows all the time when i get back to my desktop.

6. gillybean macrumors 6502a

I'm sure that there are people out there who legitimately use and like Jump, it just seems like Jump has a disproportionate number of people who sign up just to say good things about it.

For example:

"Gjk77": 2 total posts, both praising jump, 1 is a new topic about how great jump is... "Jump works GREAT"

"LarsMarkelson": 3 total posts, all fairly jump related... "I am loving Jump!"

"appleecosys": 1 total post, a month ago and hasn't posted again since, "Jump is a GREAT product"

7. YOKOJP macrumors member

WHAT??? First of all, I'm not anyway related to the developer. I personally using LogMeIn.

8. gillybean macrumors 6502a

I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the person who started the topic.

9. YOKOJP macrumors member

Yeah, I do see what you mean. Sometimes I do suspect people in this forum to be developers raving about how great the apps are.

10. LarsMarkelson macrumors newbie

Hey, hi there. I can assure you I am not a Jump shill. I was linked to this website when I asked on another forum in their iPad thread about which remote desktop app was the best. After reading there I settled on Jump and enjoyed it enough to create an account here, also wanted to post about my issues with Jump so the developers could see it.

I'm more of a PC guy but love Macs too, though this is my first Apple product that made me want to post on a forum about. You can google my screenname and see all the other forums I post at (tho the forum I was linked to from, I use a different sn there), if you want I'll PM you on there since clearly anyone could choose this name... or I can post a pic of myself using Jump with my screen name written on a piece of paper (this seems like a lot but hey, I'm posting on an internet forum at 4 am in the morning).

Anyway, it's a really good app and it seems to be getting better. It's made using my iPad so awesome I just love it. Granted I've never tried Logmein to compare, since there's no trial version.

All that being said, OP this is a really weak review :) Gotta post some more details about why you like it... like for instance, do you use the mouse circle?

11. LarsMarkelson macrumors newbie

Oh, sup! og18k here, this is the guy who linked me on the other forum.

12. iThinman macrumors regular

lol, Shill!!!!!1 I want a picture of you, a monkey, the Welcome to Vegas sign and a whiteboard reading.....

...wait, that's been done. ;)

13. Martayjay macrumors newbie

14. techguy1 macrumors regular

Was getting interested until I saw this on your web page :-

15. LarsMarkelson macrumors newbie

guessing bc those dont support rdp, which is kind of lame. jump just added a preliminary vnc feature thatll work. its not as good as rdp right now imo

16. Gjk77 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Shill weighs in

Gillybean,
    As a brand new Apple convert and member of the Mac forum, please do take this in the spirit in which I present this...blow me.

I didn't realize that there was a protocol or predetermined manner in which to present opinions. I did not realize I was violating your sensibilities by praising a new app on a new platform that I just bought. And in regard to having 2 posts, I am learning how to navigate through these forums as I have only owned the Ipad for 1 week. I was so taken by the functionally of this remote service that I was compelled to write my first post praising it. After that posting I saw another topic that was in a similar vein and thought I would post opinions again. Did not realize that this was offensive to you.

You are really wrapped too tight man and I'm assuming you are an Area 51 and 911 conspiracy loon as well.

That said, I'm loving the new iPad and am grateful that my brother (and long tine Apple junkie) finally brow beat me into drinking the punch.

I will continue to post my opinions as I am required to do so as set forth in the Shill Society by-laws and in accordance with our National Contract through Shill Web Reviews Posting local union 447.

Dumbass.

17. Caraj macrumors member

OKAY then.. I guess that leaves just applecoys guy to come forward!

18. leo99 macrumors newbie

Jump Desktop 3.5.1 has new Pen mode (essentially, "transparent mouse mode") which allows using iPad as a remote touch screen for Windows PC and entering data via ritePen handwriting recognition. JD & ritePen solution page is http://ritescript.com/products/ritepen-ipad.aspx and a screenshots is below. Finger wry ting on iPad screen works very well and latency on wifi iPads over RDP is non-existing. This is, of course, mostly for office and vertical apps.

[​IMG]