Desktop management in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by satkin2, Jan 22, 2012.

1. satkin2 macrumors regular

I'm assuming that this won't be possible, but thought it worth checking with people who'll know better than I do.

I'm working on a project at the moment where I have 4 apps open, they aren't capable of going full screen, so I make them as large as possible on individual desktops. So I end up with Desktops 1-4.

I each app to open in 'This Desktop' when I've got the 4 desktops present and everything plays nicely. However, if for some reason I've closed one of these desktops, the app will then forget the 'This Desktop' setting and just open on the desktop I'm on.

Is there any setting or app that will open a new desktop when I open an application based on the desktop settings? I don't really want 4 blank desktops when I'm not working on the project, but when I am I want to have the 4.

It's just an annoyance with the new method in Lion, whereas in Snow Leopard I'd just set an app to a space number and know it would always load there.

Thanks

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Control-click on the application's Dock icon, and choose "Options>Assign to>This Desktop." I assume you did that; on my computer that means Mail, for example, always opens on Space 1.

Perhaps you have to uncheck the option to automatically rearrange spaces, and check the "When switching to an application..." option in the Mission Control pref pane. It works for me.

Rob