Desktop mic for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ActionableMango, Nov 1, 2010.

1. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Can anyone recommend a desktop mic for Mac Pro? I believe it needs to be line-level or USB.

I intend to use it in conjunction with speakers for communication during gaming, so it should be fairly directional in order to prevent picking up the speaker sounds.

2. gregharmon macrumors newbie

I'm using the Blue Snowball and it's amazing. It's about $70 on Amazon, which may be a little more than you want to pay.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The Blue Snowball is more of a professional recording mic than a communications mic, so it would be hard to say whether it's capable of effectively canceling out background noise.

In any case, you definitely need a USB microphone because Macs lack amplified mic inputs like most PCs have. I know that Logitech makes a desktop USB mic for around $25 that's supposed to be pretty decent.

Also, have you considered a USB gaming headset? I prefer using headsets over a speaker/mic combo because a) you get perfect isolation between the cans and the mic; and b) gaming relies a lot on positional audio (as in, being able to hear enemies creep up behind you, distinguishing the locations of gunshots, etc.), which headphones are often better suited for than traditional stereo speakers.

4. ActionableMango thread starter macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Thanks for the tip about Blue. Never heard of these guys, but the reviews for their products are great across the board. I ended up getting a Blue Eyeball.

5. ActionableMango thread starter macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I used a headset until my cat ate it. The thing is, for this particular game there will be players in the room and over the Internet. I prefer interacting with people in the room without headphones on.

In my experience I do agree with your points 100% that the headset is generally superior, but I have different requirements this time around. I may in fact also get a headset in the future for online-only multiplayer.

6. diazj3, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

diazj3 macrumors 6502a

It all depends on what you want the mic for. As CaptainChunk said, the Snowball is more of a recording mic - something that doesn't mean necessarily better: being it a condenser microphone, its very sensitive to background noise. Plus, it's not the best value you can get for ca. $100us (or less in this case) when it comes to mid-range usb condenser mics - if thats what you're after.

Blue Microphones is a Glenn Beck sponsor :eek: ... so you can take it from there :D

But seriously, about the Blue Eyeball, I'd research it and be a bit careful with this one - the reviews I've read about the camera are quite lousy so far - no wonder why its almost 60% off on Amazon. Plus the mic, being a medium condenser, has the disadvantages of sensitivity without the advantages of better dedicated c-mics. If what you want is a USB webcam with an integrated microphone, then that's a whole other thing.

If what you are looking for is a simple directional mic, with good audio and good background noise rejection, suitable for simple apps like gaming, skype, simple recordings or voip, I'd recommend this Logitech USB Desktop Mic - costs only 20 bucks, sturdy, its on/off switch is great to mute it during calls, takes very little desk space and has a great clear sound. I've been using it for years now, without a single hitch: this mic is more than enough for such uses - no need to waste money on a sophisticated mic.

Now, if you are looking for a higher end USB vocal mic - e.g. something to record voice overs, podcasts or vocals, then I'd recommend either this Rode dynamic mic (my personal favorite) or this AT condenser mic, both USB. The Rode has the advantage of having integrated headphone plug for direct monitoring (a big must), and being a dynamic mic, has better noise rejection than the AT, which as all condenser mics, is more sensitive.

cheers!

7. ActionableMango thread starter macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I actually ended up getting both the Blue Eyeball and a Logitech G930 headset.

I just want a mic for chat during gaming. The cam part was a bonus that I doubt I will use, but will be nice to have if I need it.

I don't know who Glenn Beck is, other than he's a cable personality and I don't have cable.

Both can be returned if they don't work out.

8. VelNZ macrumors newbie

I use an Apple iSight (firewire). It has noise cancellation due to having 2 mics although it might be a bit expensive if you don't need the webcam features. I also haven't figured out yet how to get it to work on Windows.