Desktop not responding?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 6826835, Oct 30, 2011.

1. 6826835 Suspended

I have Lion 10.7.2 installed and as I turned on my Mac this morning I noticed that all my files and folders from the desktop are missing. I checked in finder and I still have access to everything in the desktop folder but nothing on the physical desktop. I recently installed the app 'camouflage' but that isn't running so I don't know what the problem could be. Everything is the same as it normally is. I have restarted it several times but nothing has changed. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Are you sure that program isn't running? Did you check in Activity Monitor for either the program or its agent? If they're there, then read your software manual to learn how to disable it.

3. 6826835, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

6826835 thread starter Suspended

I have checked activity monitor, it is definitely not running. Anymore suggestions?

Would just like to add that I have uninstalled 'camouflage' but this hasn't changed anything. As well as the physical desktop being empty, when I try to interact with it in anyway (e.g. command+click, drag URL to desktop) I am unable to do so. This is getting very frustrating..

4. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

At least two of the methods used to make files invisible, (leading "." in file name, and "visible" flag -> false) will remain effective until you change them back yourself.
    It sounds like Camouflage may use a 3rd method for desktop files.
    Whatever method Camouflage uses, the easiest way to make your files visible again will be to re-install the App, and use it to re-set visibility.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Some time ago, I had a problem where all the items on my desktop would "disappear". If I went to force quit and picked relaunch finder they would all come back.

I have "show hidden files" turned on so I see extra stuff including annoying .ds_store files all the time. You might also try turning on show hidden files to see if everything comes back.

6. 6826835 thread starter Suspended

Okay so when I tried to reinstall camouflage from the app store (which is where I bought it from) it comes up with this message: "Camouflage null is already installed and was not purchased from the Mac App store, Do you want to buy Camouflage 2.1.1?"

???

7. 6826835 thread starter Suspended