Desktop options

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by genejockey, Oct 16, 2009.

1. genejockey macrumors newbie

Hello All:

I am considering replacing my current desktop computer, a dual 1.8 GHz G5 tower. I already have a 23 inch monitor (23" ACD with the aluminum body) that works fine for me, and I have two HDs in the G5. My work does not require enormous computational horsepower (I am a molecular geneticist), although I do run certain RAM-hungry applications such as high resolution image analysis and some molecular genetics apps for analyzing microarray data and the like. The main requirement is for data storage: my current desktop has two 1GB HDs, and I would like any future computer to have easily accessible/upgradeable storage as well. So the question is this: it seems that the Mac Pro towers are overkill for my needs, but the iMacs have an integrated monitor that I don't need and any added hard drives would have to be connected externally via Firewire or USB, either of which would be significantly slower than an internal SATA connection. Is it likely that Apple will introduce a mid-range tower in the near future? Or am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy a >$2000 MacPro? Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers

2. Ka Ora! macrumors regular

The iMacs are really the mid ranged product when compared to a Mini. IMHO they will not amend the line up that much, The current form factors work and sell. The iMacs should be revised soon so hold off for a bit if you can. If you only have 1Gb have drives well things have come a long way.:)

External Storage is very good these days, Lots of space.

3. JCP21 macrumors member

I would go with a mac mini, if you have all the old hardware, it would be pretty easy to just connect all your stuff and your away. [​IMG]

4. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

0. It is more likely that Apple will kill the Mac Pro product line before they will EVER sell something like an expandable mid-range tower. It is no secret that Steve Jobs has always hated expandable computers.

1. It doesn't sound like you need to upgrade your hardware, because it already covers your needs. So why do you want to upgrade?

2. A workstation class computer is your only option. If you do not want to spend the money on a Mac Pro, consider building a Hackintosh (or buy a pre-built one from PearC in Europe or from Psystar in the US) -- OR switch to a PC, provided that you are using multi-platform software.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If you're hungry to upgrade (perhaps to run SL), consider a low-end mac pro from the refurb store. They've got one for $2149 (with a free printer) as I type this (stock rotates). Or, pick up a used MP. As you said, you really need it for access to drives, etc more than the horsepower, so last year's model will serve you just fine.

6. genejockey thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for the replies.

The internal drives are 1TB, not 1GB (!) as I mistakenly typed in the OP.

The reason for the upgrade is a currently intermittent kernel panic problem that has been diagnosed by the local Mac Genius folks as a likely logic board failure (RAM bench tested fine, no issues with peripherals, etc). Rather than wait for what seems like an impending total failure, I thought it would be a good time to move to an Intel-based system. This would allow us to run Windows (using Parallels or VMFusion) as occasionally needed (so we could dump an even more problematic Dell box that we keep in the lab just for that purpose), and would also let us follow the 64-bit OS transition.