Desktop or Laptop???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by d.baker, Aug 13, 2008.

1. d.baker macrumors newbie

I'm moving from Pc to mac but i'm not sure whether to get a mac desktop or laptop. I've always had desktops up until now however I like the idea of having the freedom of a laptop. However I won't be taking the laptop out of my house lol. Is it worth the extra cost of a laptop or would it be better to get another desktop?? your thoughts are much appreciated :) :apple:

2. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

If you have to get one or another, get the lappy. It's nice to be able to sit anywhere and surf (or be on here!). Though, my affinity has really grown for having both a desktop and a laptop

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

It is nice to surf the web on my couch, but is that something would do a lot and does it justify the price for you?

Unless you have money to burn or a future need for portability, I say use your money to get the best desktop you can comfortably afford.

Since you will be a new Mac user, keep in mind Macs love RAM and it's best to get an upgrade from a 3rd party since Apple overcharges RAM.

4. The Hammer macrumors regular

A desktop would be your best option you'll appreciate the screen real estate.

5. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Refurb MB, w/ DELL 20 or 22 monitor, Mini-DVi - HDMI, Keyboard/Mouse. Desktop by day, Notebook any other time...

Whole thing can be had for around the cost of a decent desktop.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have had both, but since the late 1990s, my main working computer has been a laptop. The convenience and portability of a laptop cannot be beaten, (and if space is an issue laptops also triumph). Also, since the 1990s, the huge differences in spec and performance that one sacrificed for the advantage of portability don't apply to the same extent; modern laptops are extremely powerful and have great specs and excellent performance. Go for a laptop. Good luck with it. Cheers.

7. kixsand macrumors regular

kixsand

I would have never thought that I could do without a desktop. I didn't even consider a laptop when I bought my 24" iMac a year and a bit ago. Then this spring I started a new job in which I was going to need a portable computer -- so I bought a MacBook.

I now use the MacBook way more than I use the iMac. Unless I'm working with video or photos or with multiple applications I would just as soon be wherever I want to be on the MacBook.

Next time round I think I would seriously consider a 15" or 17" MacBook Pro as my one and only computer.

8. d.baker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thank you for your replies guys. You'll be happy to know that I'm going to get a macbook in a few weeks when we find out if we're getting a new design. :D

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Wonderful. I hope you enjoy your new Mac.

FWIW, I would also recommend a portable. I'm about to replace my aged desktop with a portable. My wife and I don't expect to purchase a desktop computer again for a long time.

10. hajime macrumors 68030

You can use the laptop inside the toilet as well! Just be careful not to drop it.