Desktop or laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amazingdm, Jul 7, 2010.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

This is an INCREDIBLY hard decision since

But the amazing interface of my iPhone has convinced me to try out a Mac someday in the near future. The question is, desktop or laptop.

I've gotten so used to laptops for the last 5 years I have barely touched a desktop. So there is a part of me that misses a desktop but I love the portability of laptops. But the thing about laptops is the way I use and abuse them they don't last more than a couple years. And batteries aren't forever.

My first computer was an Apple 2gs in 1996. It was awesome for the price since we were poor at the time and I have nostalgia... but the idea that something that came out in the 80s was still useable 10+ years later is pretty good. But, desktops = no portability. But I already have a BUNCH of laptops.

I don't play games on PC. At least, not graphics intensive games. I do use music editing and photo editing (photoshop).

I want a computer that's definitely a lot faster and a LOT more stable than what I'm used to. I want something that will last a lot longer for my money.

I hate mousepads on laptops too btw.

I feel like even with a new Windows laptop the internet and youtube is hard to run sometimes. It's all that crappy flash.

One problem I forsee is that there is no numeric keypad with new Macs.. something I'd want with a desktop since I'd have the space.

Can I transfer files between pc and mac easily? Such as word files, photos, music files etc

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're aware that OS X and iOS aren't very similar, right?

Get an iMac.

Yes.

3. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah definitely know they're different OSes.. I'm just impressed with the way iOS is so stable and it seems like it all just works (save for apps not updated for iOS 4). There are no registry issues. I don't have to go through some uninstall process. I don't have to scan crap or worry about what's running in the background etc.

I was hoping it would be similar with OSx

Now if I consider this more like an experiment, and in line with my first Apple computer, maybe I should try one that's used/refurbished..