desktop programming, you see in an apple store?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mvsaradhi, Mar 30, 2008.

1. mvsaradhi macrumors newbie

HI everyone,
    do you remember going to any apple store and browsing those systems?
    you see some links(not icons) on the desktop where you can click and navigate
    can any one help me programming that kind of link on the desktop.
    thanks in advance
    Vijaya Malla.

2. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Are you asking if Xcode is on the dock on the machines at an Apple store? If so, the answer is no. But you can download Xcode from Apple's developer site or get it off the install DVDs (hint: you'll need OS X for the installation, it won't work with XP or Vista).

3. mvsaradhi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi John,
    I have OS X (Leopard) and i have the new version of Xcode.
    I think you didnt get my question, sometimes they have some icons kind of things in the centre of the desktop where you can click and that takes you to a webpage or opens a software, I think we can do that using Xcode using mac desktop header files but i dont know how to do that , can you please help me?
    thank you John
    Vijaya Malla.

4. iTim314 macrumors 6502

I know what your talking about. What you could do is:

1) Purchase (if you don't already posses one) a USB Flash 'Thumb' Drive. They run cheap, go ahead and get a 2GB, it'll be useful for many things in the future.
    2) Go to a near by Apple Store and approach one of the Macs on display. (You might want to shoo off any Salesman wondering around, for they may not approve of you injecting an unwanted flash drive in their machines. :rolleyes:
    3) Once on a computer, close everything running. Then hit :apple: + alt + esc. See if there is a program that sounds like the secondary desktop dock. If not listed in that window, go to Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor. Find the program.
    4) Now put in your USB drive.
    5) Go back to the finder and find the application that was running in Activity Monitor, and copy it to your USB drive.

Now I know nothing about this program; it may need an Application Support folder to go along. It may not even work for you.

But nevertheless, it should have a way to control what all is displayed on it by some means of configuration files.

Let us know what happens.

5. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

6. mvsaradhi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Karen,
    you were so helpful....
    that helped me....