Desktop Publishing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peronastudio, Jun 30, 2009.

1. peronastudio macrumors newbie

Hi, I am new to Mac's and I'm looking for a desktop pub. program thats
    free and will do some decent work helping me design wedding stationery. I'm pulling my hair out. I found Scribus...Looked cool, but I cant figure out how to run it once it's downloaded. Tells me to choose the application to run off of and I have no idea. Any takers? I'm desperate.
    Kel
    :eek:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You need to install X11 from your system restore disks before you can use that application.

3. gotenks05 macrumors member

Scribus is the only one I know that will even do the job. Did you download the Aqua version? Also, that program relies on ghostscript, so you are going to need to look through Google because I don't think there is a binary (PKG or MPKG file on the Mac platform) for it. OpenOffice should have that functionality but it is a poor replacement to Scribus and commerical programs like Adobe InDesign.

No, you don't need X11, because there has been an Aqua version of it for awhile.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

When I downloaded the OS X version of the application it informed me that it would start as soon as X11 had finished launching. I assume that means X11 is required.

5. gotenks05 macrumors member

It depends on what you downloaded, but I have successfully found the version that runs natively on a Mac, so if you find the Aqua version, you will not need X11. Try searching for "Scribus Aqua".

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution