Desktop rearranges itself

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by laburnum, Oct 16, 2007.

1. laburnum Guest

Why does it sometimes do this?? It's usually when I've just downloaded something. Suddenly all the files on the desktop flee to the top right-hand corner and sit on top of each other and I have to drag them all out again.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. Is your Desktop full? Do you have any theme changers installed? :)

3. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Mine does something similar, or I'll be in one window and another pops up with a dialog box with the name of the folder. I thought this might be expose, but I'm not sure. As you can tell I'm new to the Mac, but I'm not fond of this "feature".

4. jeejeebu macrumors regular

All the icons or just some of them? When my desktop is full the overflow ends up in the upper right hand corner.

But if it happens after you download something, an easy solution would be to change your settings so you download to somewhere other than your desktop.

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

Click on an empty area of our desktop and press Command+J (it's the Apple symbol just in case). This will give you the View Options for the desktop. From within here you can choose how to organize the items, how big to make them, all that jazz.

6. laburnum thread starter Guest

>>All the icons or just some of them? When my desktop is full the overflow ends up in the upper right hand corner.

Seems to depend on its mood. Usually it's most but not all. You think it's because the "desktop is full", then? It doesn't seem toooo crowded to me, but I don't know at what point it thinks it's had enough.