desktop refreshing constantly - is this a virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by imacnovice, Dec 20, 2008.

1. imacnovice macrumors newbie

After downloading the latest quicktime update, my iMac g5 (w/ OS X) has gone sideways on me. I don’t have the technical language to describe the phenomenon but will try to describe what happens. The desktop refreshes every 30 seconds or so and deadens the window (e.g. word doc or internet page) open on the desktop. I then have to click on that window to resume use of it. What is happening? Is this a virus? What do I need to do to repair my imac? Assistance, please.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's not a virus. There aren't any.

I really have no idea what to do about this. It could be hardware, it could be software...

Take a screenshot of your screen when it's doing whatever it's doing and upload it.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It sounds like Expose is randomly activating? Check your keyboard & mouse preferences to see if you set it for the side buttons on the Mighty mouse? If so, deactivate and see if that fixes it.

4. dushman macrumors newbie

re: desktop refreshing constantly

hi, imacnovice.

same thing happened to me last night, after getting the last quick time update. the symptoms are identical to yours. nobody seems to know what the problem is. i have a g4 15" powerbook with os 10.4.11.

still need help. very difficult to work like this.

thanks.

5. sawmaster macrumors regular

calm down, your on a mac. mac's don't get viruses. they rock!

expose is a neat feature that lets you shrink all of the windows and you can choose a window without using the dock or some stupid task bar like on windows.

[​IMG]
    The image above is the system prefrences. If you clicked that once and...
    [​IMG]
    ...made something on the next page look like that, then you turned on corners. that means if you move your cursor (arrow) over to a any desired corner on your computer, whatever u want it to do will do that.

Turning it off

To turn it off, just goto the "Dashboard and Expos´e" prenfrence (the second button on the window). Then there's 4 menus.

[​IMG]

Make sure they all say....

[​IMG]

Hope this helps! :D

6. dushman macrumors newbie

dear sawmaster,

thank you for enlightening the mac community with regards to the functions of expose.
    however, with all due respect, the problem seems to lie elsewhere.

regards.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

edit: From the other thread

Sounds like you are having the same problem as many other people.

I take it you are on 10.4.11.

I have posted a few links over in this other thread that may contain possible solutions

8. sawmaster macrumors regular

Your welcome!