Desktop remote

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by dcaccount, Sep 2, 2014.

1. dcaccount macrumors regular

Hello,

I am trying to connect my Mac with my Windows 7 PC using Windows Desktop Remote application that was installed together with Office for Mac.

I have not been able to connect. Everything has been set up in the Windows machine, firewall has been opened but no connection.

The Desktop remote application keeps warning "the user has been disconnected from the Windows machine because of network problems" but there are no network problems as I can access all shared drives of the Windows machine.

Has anyone found a way to solve this, where am I wrong? Please help,

Thanks,
    daniele

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I don't know about what comes with Office for Mac, but I use Microsoft Remote Desktop from the Mac App Store (free) on the Mac side. The Windows machine must be running either the Pro or Ultimate versions. The Home version is not compatible.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I often hear people having problems with the Windows Desktop Remote app.

For remote connections between computers running OS X or Windows, I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and private and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports).

4. dcaccount thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for replying.

It works at last!

One question, how can I right click the mouse (Apple magic mouse) on the remore windows desktop?

I have tried ctrl+click but it does not work.

Please help, thanks, daniele

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Unfortunately I'm sitting here with a Mighty Mouse and a trackpad but I've got a Magic Mouse and can tell you the general solution --

Go to System Preferences-->Mouse. There will be a way to enable an action as "secondary mouse button". You need that. Control-click won't work because Windows doesn't recognize control-click as the secondary mouse button.