Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctsport1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Hi guys,

A friend of mine is in the market for a new computer setup and he wants to go the mac route this time around. We're both university students studying business so Iam assuming we have similar needs (which is primarily just safari, itunes, iphoto, & MS Office) Portability is a neccessity becauase we have to do presentations & group projects on a continuous basis.

He has decided on two similar priced configurations:

15'' PB Rev E base model
20'' ACD

or

12'' ibook base model
20'' imac base model

Although I personally went with the first option, I recommended him to go with the later because I think its a much better value. He likes the powerbook a lot more than the ibook for the obvious reasons but would also prefer to work on the more powerful G5 at home. The only "bad" thing I can think of for the second option would be that he would constantly have to update his computers to keep them in sync.

Anyways, your inputs are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Either will work. The 2 system option does have the sync issue.

What will he be running on the system that he needs the power of the iMac for?

Maybe after the next powerBook update (happening soon maybe?) the difference might be less of an issue. Also in a lot of things, a 1.67GHz G4 runs applications at the same speed as a 1.6-1.8GHz G5.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
I'd go with setup 1.

I know for sure i'd drive me up the wall to have to Sync both computers all the time. Knowing where my files are is pretty important when your doing stuff. Plus you save the time of Syncing..

If your going with a 12" iBook setup in the second situation... Why not go with a 12" Powerbook and save the money for a bigger screen / ram / whatever to make the beast go faster.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
if you say he is only going to run safari office etc then option one is great! the 15" PB still has a decent amount of power anyway, though id upgrade the ram and go for a 20" dell monitor instead just to save some cash, or put the extra money into further upgrades for the powerbook.

or. . . a 3rd option go for the 12" pb (b/c powerbooks are just better) and get a 17" iMac if he really wants to use a G5 at home! for the same money i think that would be a really good set up, just a slightly smaller screen, but they both still look very good and preform just as well!

but remeber. . . wait till after wednesday to see if any big annoucements are made!!! an anoucement might change your plans entirely!

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
I would go with a option four. Max out a 12 inch Powerbook, and get the 20 inch ACD. That way all of his files are in the same place, and for his needs, the Powerbook is all he needs. Plus, the 12 inch is a lot easier to carry around than the 15.

Edit: O yeah and he'll save a few bucks.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
i carry the 15" around campus and i think its great. im thinkning about getting another monitor but to be honest i think its jsut cause i want to spend something:D

here's my basic setup:

powerbook (as in sig) connected to network via ethernet, connected to single USB hub for printer and mighty mouse, bluetooth keyboard, firewire HD (connected only when backing up) and i am currently waiting for an iCurve to arrive to make viewing for long periods when not mobile more comfortable.

it works great for university, you have the power and the portability in one; its not that heavy TBH.

my two english pennies.

tastic

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Umm, if he goes with the 12" iBook, he needs to do BTO. The 40 gig drive is NOT enough! You'd be shocked how much space is left out of the box, he will run out of space soon, it just won't last. What I did is I BTO'd it to the 60gig. Why 60? Cause its the same drive that comes with the 14", I figured lets try and have the same specs as the 14". Too bad I can't BTO the same 1.42 processor and superdrive but oh well. Other than that though I am VERY happy with it.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
ctsport said:
15'' PB Rev E base model

I take it you are talking about the rumoured update on the 12th? If so that would be Rev D, there have been only 3 updates to the 15" AL, and 4 for 12"/17".

edit: people like macOSX-tastic might want to update their sigs ;)

Macabron

macrumors member
May 23, 2005
Durango, México.
I personally would go for the powerbook 128Mb Video card and a dell 24" screen. Of course I already own a power Mac and an iMac G5. And I will have one of those dell screens as soon as I can afford it!

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
I'd say the first option, or a hybrid between the two:

12 or 15" PowerBook
Mac mini
Non-Apple LCD (well, a 17" ($699) if you want, but Dell 20.1" widescreens are $394 right now so I can't see why anyone would choose an Apple display)

ctsport1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Thanks for the great advice guys! I think the syncing issue is big enough to go with the powerbook option.

Any additional opinions/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
I completely agree with Wongulous.
Get the 12" and the 15" 'books and go with 24" Dell screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.