Desktop Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sam_S, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Sam_S macrumors regular

I am considering upgrading my set up as both of my machines are starting to show their age, especially my iMac.

I absolutely love working on a desktop, it is nice to have the screen real estate, and it is much more comfortable for long work periods.
    However, I travel a lot I spent 7-8 months in the last year away from home. So I think it is time for me to get new MacBook Pro.

I only use Final Cut Pro from time to time, I mainly do a lot of word processing, research, and run Virtual machines as I need to use a few Windows only applications. :confused:

I am trying to decide between two options

MacBook Pro 13" which will cost $3150NZD
    • 3.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    • 512GB of SSD storage

or MacBook Pro 15" which will cost $3450NZD
    • 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
    • 16GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    • 512GB SSD
    • Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB of memory
    Any advise would be helpful :)

2. Jimios macrumors member

Jimios

Since it's a desktop replacement, and for such a small difference, I would recommend the 15", especially because you would be able to assign two cores instead of one to the Windows VM and things would be much smoother. It would also help with FCP editing.

Just out of curiosity - what Windows-only apps do you need to use?

3. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

15-inch all the way, IMO.

If you like working on desktops, you can drive more displays with the 15, you get two more cores, and a GPU. Plus, the BTO 13 rapidly approaches 15-inch pricing.

4. Sam_S thread starter macrumors regular

Mainly MS Access and Visio, but also MS Project and some other custom built pieces of software occasionally.

5. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

Definitely the 15". I replaced my 2013 iMac (everything maxed) with a 2016 MBP 15" (also maxed processor/RAM). The MBP was slightly faster (talking a couple percent) than the iMac. Sold my iMac for a cool Grand and use my MBP with an external display.

6. whodean macrumors member

whodean

I would strongly urge to go with the $2799 (US) 15" model and works far better with a 4K display.

7. Another Day macrumors member

15" is way to big to travel with. Get the 13".

8. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

If you get the 15" base model, do yourself a favor and at least add on the 560 GPU upgrade.

9. MichaelDT macrumors regular

I would personally go for the 13” with an i7 for the hyper-threading. I have a distrust for the 15” MBPs as their GPUs have a tendency to die out of warranty. With TB3 you can always add an external GPU with display especially now that apple has gotten behind the idea.

10. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

It's one pound more. If you can't handle that well...

I've travelled all over with mine and the footprint has never caused a problem either. For what the OP wants to do, 15" would be much better.

11. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Try traveling with a 17" MBP. That is why a 2015 15" MBP was just acquired. Didn't want TB and USB 3 at this time.

To round out the desktop replacement, OWC's TB2 dock was ordered, a MagSafe to MagSafe2 adapter (to work with an Apple 27" LED) and a stand.

With this I can be desk bound or mobile in a moment's notice and take all of my absolutely needed files with me.

12. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Everybody is saying go with the 15, but the 13 could work here too. Won't have any issues running VMs.

Maybe consider the 13" and get a nice monitor to go along with it?

13. Sam_S thread starter macrumors regular

In the long run will there be much benefit?
    Obviously may help in the times I am using FCP, but other then that I'm not gaming, or anything else graphics intensive.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 11, 2017 ---
    If I am honest I probably wouldn't be using a 4K display, more then happy with a lower quality display.
    There just aren't the options for 4K in NZ, unless you want to spend thousands, which I don't.

14. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

you dont need to buy i7 to get hyper-threading, i5 has it also. Only difference between i5 and i7 are base and max frequency and, imho, not worth for $300, it is still just a dual core processor. i would rather use that amount of money to add more memory from 8gb to 16gb.

15. MichaelDT macrumors regular

You’re right. I hadn’t realized Intel did this on the dual core mobile i5. Kind of confuses the messaging on what an i7 is. Nonetheless, i7 has a higher clock speed which helps immensely in single threaded tasks. But it depends on the OPs work load.

16. Sam_S thread starter macrumors regular

After a bit of consideration, I am going to hold onto my current gear until the end of the year/the next spec bump.
    Hopefully all of the problems should be resolved by then! And they have a higher SSD capacity as standard.

17. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Honestly, the realistic answer is:

Apple does not make, and will not make, desktop-replacement tier laptops. You can sorta fake it with a henge dock and a lot of optimism, but if you really need a desktop-replacement, you are not gonna get one from Apple.

This sucks. I love desktop-replacement laptops.

18. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Just setup my my OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock and am very pleased with it for the short period I tested last night. Given that my current desktop is 9 years old the 2015 MBP is giving it a good run for its money. Both desktop and laptop have SSD for primary drives. It is just the age and hardware that is slowing the desktop down.