Desktop Shows Distorted Colors in Some Spots

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chris204, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Chris204 macrumors regular

This problem has just recently started happening. Every now and then my desktop will show some weird colors in relation to the background image, but it's very odd looking. I don't really know how to describe it, so I've attached a screen shot for reference.

The problem goes away if I just move the mouse over the area or if I open and close a program window on top of the area.

Any ideas on why this is happening? Please see attached image.

System details: Mac OS X 10.5.5, 4GB RAM, 2.4 GHz Intel, Alum. iMac

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

looks to be graphics card failure

is your iMac new?

3. Chris204 thread starter macrumors regular

I got it in January. As I said, it doesn't happen all the time... just every now and then. Should I take it in do you think?

4. felmanir macrumors newbie

User Directory Related?

I have seen this issue on two different machines (current iMac and Mac Pro) running current OS/Software. The symptom seems as if it might be a software glitch in the user account, as I have created new accounts on affected machines and cannot get the symptom to occur in other accounts, while it is fairly consistent on the affected account.

Moving icons and/or finder windows around on the screen seems to "erase" the distortion and gives you a clean screen. I have been unable to narrow it down to a specific preference file, but I have more troubleshooting to do.

5. felmanir macrumors newbie

The MacBook/NVIDIA problem is not related

You'll notice that the three computers mentioned as having this symptom in this thread are 2 iMacs and 1 Mac Pro. None of which are affected by this NVIDIA issue. Also, doesn't explain why it happens in one account but not others on same computer.

6. mingles macrumors newbie

Any resolution with the screen problem?

Chris204, have you done anything about your erratic screen problem? I know someone with the same problem. It's a similar machine -- if not identical.

Could it be due to a bad video card like Apple mentions for the MacBooks? If the same Nvidia card was installed in iMacs, you'd think Apple would say that, but they don't. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem?