Desktop sound. Audioengine, Swan, or ??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 840quadra, Dec 19, 2012.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am considering replacing my bookshelf stereo system that I currently have connected to my computers in my home office. I currently have an Aiwa XR-M191 system with matching speakers, that works okay, but doesn't as clear of a sound that I would like.

Since I have 2 computer systems at my desk, I am splitting them up, to give them each their own speaker systems. For my PC desktop, I ordered a set of Swan H2 speakers that I plan on stacking on top of whatever I buy for my Mac Mini.

Currently my Front running choices for the Mini are the Swan M10, or the Audioengine 2 systems. I like both for their size, the problem is the Swan M10 systems appear to be sold out everywhere, and I am unable to go listen to them before I buy. I really am not interested in having a Sub Woofer, as I honestly am more into audio clarity.

Is there anything else I should consider, is the M10 worth the wait?

2. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

3. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i am so tempted to pick these up .. i just dont know if i need speakers beyond my imac ones

4. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

After doing a tour of local stores, listening to all of the alternatives, I decided to audition a set of Audioengine 2 speakers at home. After a couple of days with them, I am impressed with the amount of bass these produce on top of their exceptional clarity.

I was considering the A5+, however I wanted to conserve on some space, and the left over funds permitted me to pick up some Swan S2 speakers for my PC system that shares a desk with my Mac.

Overall the sound from both sets (for their specific purpose) is amazing and really fits my needs.

IMG_0208.jpg

5. akatsuki macrumors regular

I'd be curious if anyone has the Aktimate Micro's or Minis and how they compare. I have A5s but am going to move them to another room soon.

6. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I really want to hear those too. Sadly nobody carries them in a retail setting near me, so I will have to audition them at home first.

I am pleased with the A2 speakers for my little office, but I need something with a little more punch for my dining area I plan on outfitting next.

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I have the A5+ speakers and I can attest to their quality. Fantastic sound (especially with FLAC) and they look and feel very solid. The downside is their size. I underestimated how big they were and had to move things around to make them fit. I don't however regret getting them for an instant.

8. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I would have loved to pick up a set of Bamboo A5+ speakers for my office setup, really liked the look and feel of those. I just have limited desk space, and need to get 2 larger video monitors as it stands too :( .

Overall I am still happy and impressed with the A2 setup I have. The imaging is so spot on with these, and the sound is balanced overall. I listen to all types of music (outside of Country), and these have really impressed me in helping me pick out tones and notes missed on all but my home system.