desktop speakers suggestion

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by longthizzz, Dec 27, 2015.

1. longthizzz macrumors regular

what are good speakers to use as desktop speakers . I'm lending toward buying the audio engine a2 , but want to know if there are any betters one in the same price range

2. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

what will you be using the speakers for? studio use? or other?

3. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

4. longthizzz thread starter macrumors regular

oh duh . normal usage , . i was looking at the bose mini link but wanted to know if there are other more . my boss has the a2's thats why i ask

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Are you looking for a 2 speaker set up or a 2.1 set up (2 speakers plus a sub)?

There are lots to choose from that do quite well the A2's are excellent but the big brother series is much better.

For typical 2.1 use, the old standard Klipsch Promedia is a sure bet.
    For decent sound with a retro Mac look the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks (clear acrylic) make also for good 2.1 sound.
    If you are looking at an A2 counterpart - you may want to look at the M-Audio AV40 which are the entry point into some serious audio work on computers (but great for typical use too).

There are just too many to list but the A2, if you like what you hear might just be the ticket.

6. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

Depends on budget.

Ultimately I went with an HDMI AV receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers. Expensive but the audio clarity is terrific. I'm no audiophile but it was probably some of the best money I spent. My computer is my primary source of entertainment though.

I really, really like the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks for a PC speaker. They definitely match Mac aesthetics if that is important to you.

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I am somewhat the same way with one of my computers being able to tap into my home entertainment system. It is a nice addition. As for the Harmon Soundsticks, yep they look good but more interestingly they sound surprisingly decent.

8. longthizzz thread starter macrumors regular

ya the a5 , the big bro to the a2 are way to big for my desk and room , thus being not worth it for me
    il check out the m-audio av40

9. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Hopefully you'll have a choice that meets your needs for sound and size. It is nice to know there are lots of excellent choices out there.

10. weatherwax macrumors member

weatherwax

11. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

I've had a few revisions past of these for around 8-9 years now & they're still wonderful.

12. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox