Desktop To-Do List with Geektool?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jayeskreezy, Mar 23, 2009.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Ok so I've been learning and customizing Geektool over the weekend and I'm stumped on how to get it to display a to-do list that refreshes for free.

I've read many different websites on how to do this and I'm stumped. I don't really understand code, don't use iCal, and have no idea how to read my terminal info.

I'd like to use Geektool b/c of the customization it offers, but I'd also like to be able to use something where I can simply view my to-do list and it refreshes automatically. The thing is I need something that's free.

These are the sites that I've visited, but I get confused when they start talking about ~users and where to place files and editing documents. I've looked here:

http://smokingapples.com/software/tutorials/geek-desktop-geektool-setup-tutorial/
    http://ginatrapani.github.com/todo.txt-cli/
    http://zenhabits.net/2008/03/5-amazing-mac-apps-for-getting-things-done-plus-a-custom-rigged-setup/
    http://macmembrane.com/use-geektool-to-display-taskpaper-lists-on-your-desktop/

Can anyone help?

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

You could just create a txt-file (using TextEdit, for example) and then display that with GeekTool. Whenever you change the file (= update your todo-list) the GeekTool output gets updated as well.

3. jeremybuff macrumors regular

You're probably not looking for this type of response, but why not give Anxiety a try? You can hide it and only show the application when you click on the menu bar item. Also, it doesn't clutter your dock.

It's probably a better choice for a to-do list than geektool...

4. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

I tried that and text edit is saying it only saves in .rtf and not .txt. As a result I get my todo list with a lot of extra unnecessary code :(

5. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Go to Preferences and the first option lets you choose "Plain Text". Open a new document and you're set :)

6. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Ahhh thank you very much.

7. memarrone macrumors newbie

txt ToDo problem

I'm using a .txt to-do with geektool and it displays perfectly. however, it wont update. If i change the file, geektool will not change my todo on my desktop until i log out and log in again. Ideas?

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Your post might get more attention and help if you post in this thread
    It is dedicated to all things GeekTool
    Lots and lots of good info there

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Hmm. It works fine for me. As a workaround, you could enable the Geektool menu bar icon (Geektool preferences >> Show menu). From there you can force a refresh :)

10. memarrone macrumors newbie

haha now that opens up a new problem for me geektool wont show up in my menubar. click the box nothing, logged out and in, nothing. lame-sauce

11. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Then maybe you should try and reinstall Geektool :D

12. memarrone macrumors newbie

13. DallasTim macrumors newbie

Display To-Do List from iCal

Instead of using a text file for a to-do list, why not use the built-in Tasks feature of iCal? You can display calendar events and tasks from GeekTool once you install the free utility called icalBuddy. Install that, then just put something like this in GeekTool:

/usr/local/bin/icalBuddy eventsToday

or

/usr/local/bin/icalBuddy uncompletedTasks

icalBuddy is HIGHLY configurable, so you can tweak it to get just the data you want, in just the format you want.

Tim