Desktop to Laptop Converts, Help me make a buying decision

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bwh318, Apr 18, 2010.

1. bwh318 macrumors newbie

I've recently switched to Mac (bought a White Macbook in March) and I LOVE it. My primary computer is still a windows machine (desktop running W7) but I find I'm using it less and less. I love the ability to have a unit for portability, but I also like being able to sit down at a nice, large screen and work.

My question is, I'm now debating whether or not I should upgrade my desktop to an iMac, or if I should sell my MB and get a 15" new MBP. I game occasionally, but usually on my Xbox, and my main usage is for writing (I'm an English student and a writer), so I'd like gaming capability, but I don't require anything ultra-highend.

I've been a desktop person most of my life (I'm 26) and I have, until now, never had a laptop that I loved. So I'm calling all desktop to laptop converts to help me decide!

My Options:
    iMac High-End 21" + White MacBook
    15" MacBook Pro + 22" screen at home and some form of dock

2. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

What does your macbook not do that you would like it to do? For the stuff you listed above, other than gaming, it seems it should be plenty of computer for you. If thats the case, why do you want a desktop or even 15" at all? (other than obvious screen difference)

3. bwh318 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, while I don't *need* it, I am coming from a background of being a "must-have-bleeding-edge/overclocked PC" guy. I think if I switched to using the Macbook alone, I might end up feeling like I have a void in my computing life.

4. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Gotcha. If you can get a better answer to that question, it would be easier to give you an answer. Without knowing anything else, I would say get an imac. I dont know which size, but I would recommend the 27". Not only do you get the speed (especially if you get the quadcore and feed that inner "bleeding edge pc guy") but you can also use it as a monitor for your current MB.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What do you use your desktop for?
    What do you use your notebook for?

If the latter is only for traveling, sitting on the couch and the former is still the primary, you have answered your question IMO.