Desktop to Macbook - what about my iTunes library ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ol!ver, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

Here's the story.

I'm moving from using a desktop machine to using my MacBook for everything. All my library is on a drive that I'll be putting into a caddy.

So, where do I go from here? I want to keep everything on that drive and just point iTunes on the MacBook at it.

Cheers

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

When you open iTunes on your MacBook hold down option/alt. It will ask to you choose a library. Navigate to the library and iTunes will use the library from then on (unless you change it using the same method).

3. Ol!ver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right, so I don't add anything to a new library, just tell iTunes to use my existing one ?

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Yup.

I recently reinstalled Leopard via a clean install on my G5. My iTunes library resides an external drive.

Once I had installed Leopard and made sure everything was up to date. I fired up iTunes holding down option key and told it where to find the library again. Boom... thats it!

The way Apple tells you to do it is a very long winded way. Basically they tell you to create a new blank library then consolidate it with your existing one. Whats the point? You may as well use your existing one and not expose it to the potential of the consolidation process spannering up your library.

EDIT: I also did the same for iPhoto. :)

5. Ol!ver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Excellent cheers.