Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Hi

I've got an itch to scratch, but I don't know how to scratch it.

I mainly use my iPad , at 57 i'm a light user, the odd document, one finance spreadsheet.
I mainly read news, books , forums on the iPad, i guess what its meant for.
I recently sold my Mac Mini and replaced it with a NAS that hosts all my media files, runs the house IP cameras etc.

My other tool is my 13inch 2012 mac book pro, comes into use when i want to work on media files, supports my iTunes library and i get it out if I want to look at multiple websites at the same time as its just easier than using the iPad.

So everything sync's nicely to iCloud, i also use an iPhone.

So I guess i don't really need much of a desktop/laptop i don't do heavy things, just the odd thing an iPad can't do.

So being in the UK this makes the apple products look really expensive for doing the odd thing.

The itch is at some point do I buy another mac, or the the other option looked at is one of the Lenovo Mini's and install windows iCloud to ensure I have access to my files and a cheap desktop to do the odd things I need to do, or even a cheap laptop.

Seems to be lots of unrest on the forum about Mac's price and performance.

What supplements your iPad and which way would you go?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You could get an external display for your laptop. You will like to still need your Mac for laying the foundation for your iPad, so don't be in a hurry to get rid of it.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
The good news is that there are TONS of different ways - especially if you don't get hung up on being in a certain category!

Some ideas:
  • Keep the MacBook - I know from experience these things hold pretty well and unless it's terribly slow, it sounds like it could serve your purposes for another couple years (at which point technology will have changed to the point where any suggestions we offer today will be outdated). At very least, if you can't use it for media editing, then you should at least be able to use it for iTunes and browsing.
  • Public Computers - It may be different in the UK, but there are several public options for computer use (including Libraries, and FedEx Kinkos) if there are one-off tasks that you want to do. Obviously these wouldn't be able to support iTunes library, but other small tasks could be done on these computers.
  • Used Macs - Go with this route if you NEED a newer Mac than you have, but don't want to spend the money on a new Mac, an older Mac mini might be a good idea.
  • Cheap Windows - There are many very inexpensive Windows 10 computers that are what I would think of as "throw-away" computers - they're cheap and have about 1-2 years of good use, then they'll be useless. Because they're in the sub-$200 arena, they're good for connecting to a TV and using as a "home base" computer.
  • Build Your Own - You can build your own computer to meet your specific, non-iPad needs.
  • All-in iPad - As Gustave suggested, you could go all-in on the iPad - figure out what you need to do to support that. I don't know the extent of your iTunes library, but it may be possible with iTunes Match and Apple Music and it can certainly handle light media editing. You could even get an AppleTV and display the screen over AirPlay on the TV (making it much better to display two browser windows on the iPad).
Don't get caught up in trying to fit into a category (or a product) - evaluate what you need/want right now and act on that. I'm constantly re-evaluating my tech needs/wants. What works for me today will be different than what works for me next year.

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
Nothing supports my iPad.

If I were you, I would figure out how to eliminate the last few tasks that your mac does, then sell it.

I've done this now.

Hard core video editing (professional level) look into LumaFusion

Graphics are there now obviously. Affinity Photo!

Run your music library from iCloud. I lost my ripped cds doing this but oh well. I manually transferred what MP3s mattered to me, to personal folders on iCloud. I also got Apple Music subscription so I can listen to whatever I want whenever I want without more cost.

File management I use a WD My passport wireless drive that is 4 TB and an app called File Browser which links all clouds including iCloud and NAS and even networked computers on the same WiFi etc.

For Office documents I use Office Suite Pro from Mobisystems. It's basically a clone of MS programs and plays nicely with third party installed fonts.

OP could easily transition to iPad only. I have!! I have not used iTunes on my MBP in about 2 years and the only app I used on the MBP at all was dreamweaver. I'm praying a dreamweaver mobile app will come soon! But for now I have coda but it's not a full fledged wysiwyg editor. My solution? Get away from web design and move more into video editing :)

Reactions: M. Gustave

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
A others have said, Macbooks are nowadays very expensive and if you need a bit more performance, upgrade to an SSD and boost your RAM to 8GB if you haven't already.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
A others have said, Macbooks are nowadays very expensive and if you need a bit more performance, upgrade to an SSD and boost your RAM to 8GB if you haven't already.

I did just that to my in laws' 2011 white MacBook (they refuse to go all in on iOS even though they only use the MacBook to surf and read email, LOL). It's like a new machine now, runs Sierra very well.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
My supplement is a surface pro 4, which isnt really any cheaper than a mac :p With your uses, I would say to just get a cheap windows. I think the iPad will be able to handle MOST of your needs; but I understand your iTunes plight, I still require it to sync my music. Also I still require my computer to restore and jailbreak my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.