Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simon H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Well, as a recent Mac convertee I have found a problem and i'm not even sure how best to describe it.

Quad G5, Tiger, did an OS update this morning, two updates found (Ipod update 2005-11-17 and security update 2005-009) both downloaded and installed, rebooted and headed out.

Came home, checked the machine and everything looks fine except the desktop is now too big. I know this sounds weird but it is as if the desktop has been zoomed and no longer fits into the physical size of the LCD.
Double checked settings, all are ok. Reset the panel, reboted the machine, tried the alternate DVI port and analog converter, same result.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what may have happened ? I've been googling to find something like this but have found nothing - i'm not even sure what the OSX terminology is for this. the nearest i can think of is the Windows virtual desktop - that is what this most resembles

EDIT : Rebooted off last night's backup, same thing. Checked LCD on another machine, all ok.

It looks it is either an OSX change that was made by the update or graphic card failure....

Any ideas gratefully received !

cheers

Simon

Simon H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Well, worked it out - somehow Universal access, zoom was enabled...whether the update did it, no idea....

Simon

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
press "command option 8"

it seems that perhaps zoom from universal access was turned on, that will toggle it off.

Simon H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Thanks guys, i guess it was me hitting a shortcut but no idea how !!

cheers

Simon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.