Desktop User help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by redboard, Jun 7, 2008.

1. redboard macrumors newbie

i'm really confused. I thought i was an experienced mac user but i guess not. I'm having a problem that baffles me whenever i try to fix it. I dont even know where to start...Basically my desktop is under a user. Lets call it "Mac 1". Well one day i decided to change the name of "Mac 1" to "Mac 2" and a couple days later i restarted my computer. Well when the desktop came back up my backgrounds were the standard blue and my icons at the bottom had changed. My itunes no longer had music in it and all my favorites on safari were gone. Since then i've recreated my desktop and pulled all my music back over from the Users Folder. Now in the users folder there's 2 users. "Mac 1" and "Mac 2". And try as i might i cant get back to the "Mac 1" settings. Also since then i've tried to change the name again and its created an entire new desktop all over again! i'm on the fourth one now and its driving me crazy! I dont even know where to begin to fix this..it might be something simple..i dont know. When i tried to log out and log back in theres only one user name. please somebody help me..i really dont wanna re-adjust all my setting again or re-create my itunes library.

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

I'm new to this, but it kinda sounds like you made a second account, "Mac 2". Is there any way of logging out of that account and back into your original account, "Mac 1"? When I decided to go to a day-to-day account with no Admin privileges, I made a new account and basically had to start from scratch, like it sounds like you are now doing.
    Morod

3. redboard thread starter macrumors newbie

well thats whats weird. When i log out there's only one account to log in to. i cant figure out how to get to any of the other 3 but the current one..this is really frustrating. thanks for the response!

4. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Okay, now I see the problem I think, but it's beyond me to help you. You didn't create a new account, you changed the name of the present account. Where in the OS did you change the account name? I think I've read of others having this problem, and it can be convoluted to fix, but it is fixable! Good luck,
    Morod

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

6. redboard thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah thats what i did. I just found out how to change it back. thanks for the help!