desktop version of youtube

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Maxi86, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Maxi86 macrumors regular

Hey everyone!

Using the native YouTube app, you can't view for example music videos... at least not the original ones.
    I tried downloading Atomic Web browser and switching in 'Identify Browser As' from Default to Safari Desktop. Now when going to YouTube, I can't see anything, because it's in flash...

I also went to http://www.youtube.com/html5 and turned the HTML5 trial on...
    but still no difference...

So my main question is, is there any way to get access to all YouTube content on your iPad?
    btw my iPad 2 is already jailbroken, so if there's something in the Cydia app store, please mention it as well!

2. 66775, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

66775 macrumors member

So basically you wanna be able to read Flash content on your iPad? as mentioned countless times here and there, that's not ideally possible, and won't be for a while.

In the meantime, though, you can find suitable workarounds, one of which I use is called iSwifter (paid app on the iTunes Store). You can probably find comparable stuff on Cydia. What does it do? from my understanding (and that's how most of the workarounds work too), all the Flash content is converted on-the-fly on iSwifter's servers and sent back to you in smth you iDevice can make sense of. So needless to say it's a bit laggy, the browsing experience is not the best (clicking on some buttons/boxes can be a major pain in the ass cause the precision is appalling), but it gets the job done in the end.

Was it worth the 3.99€ (if memory serves) I spent for it? in my case it did because there is one (yeah, only one) flash-based site that I need to access on a daily basis and couldn't just bother switching between my iPad and my mbp every single time. Now, 3.99€ is nothing major, however considering the average price of an app on the iTunes Store, and unless you REALLY want/need to access the entire youtube catalogue, I don't find it really worth the price. Badly optimized and not really user-friendly.

3. Tritons macrumors 6502

He want to whatch music videos but they are restricted to mobile devices - so what he wants is that youtube thinks he is from pc/mac.

*sorry for my bad english.

4. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

Tritons is right... first and foremost I want to be able to get the full desktop version of YouTube running on my iPad 2...
    so that I can watch all restricted videos

will that be possible with a flash enabled app?
    I would prefer some other method though...

5. t3hdaniel macrumors newbie

I was able to view youtube videos on safari before. But after a while it stopped working, and I have to use the youtube app. I've been trying to figure out what caused the youtube videos on safari to stop working.

6. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

7. Speedyparker87 macrumors member

8. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

great tip, Speedyparker! thanks a lot...
    it seems the solution was much easier than anticipated :p
    but is there a way to download the videos to your iPad for offline viewing?

9. Tritons macrumors 6502

legal? No.
    But there is a way. Take youtube url and after www. and youtube.com type keep ( www.keepyoutube.com/ blablabla) and it will download it for you.
    Note - Its no Legal, don't do it!

10. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

@Tritons you mean on the iPad?
    cos on iPad you get redirected to m.youtube.com

and if on iPad, should I use Safari or some other web browser?

11. Looon, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon