Desktop vs laptop?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by judasrising2209, Sep 17, 2010.

1. judasrising2209 macrumors newbie

Just wondering the % of y'all using desktops or laptops for gaming. And are you using dedicated pc rigs (HP, Dell, Acer etc) or Apple and bootcamp?
    cheers

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I use a hackintosh when I play games. Before that I used a Mac Pro (still have the Mac Pro, the hackintosh is just much faster).

3. Venkman90 macrumors regular

Macbook with bootcamp, will upgrade to a new Macbook Pro in the new year.

Don't game as much as I used to so it does just fine, online fps seem to be the exception right now but as they are usually console ports it's no suprise.

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

5. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

iMac. Much better performance for your buck as long as you dont need portability

6. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I have been primarily laptop-based since the IBM ThinkPad 700C and Powerbook 170 ... yeah, since 1991/2! I got my last desktop in ~97 (a Dell), and have been exclusively laptop since.

It *is* more expensive, and hard to maintain anything close to 'desktop parity', but since I've been using them for most of the last 20 years I can't see doing things any other way.

7. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

If you're going to be doing a lot of gaming, don't get a laptop. Their mobile chipsets just aren't as strong, cannot really be upgraded, and are quick to go out of date.

I myself game with bootcamp on my Mac Pro, but I've also used PC towers in the past. I gamed with my MBP when I bought it, but it just can't keep up with the games these days. Other than a little starcraft or civ (can't wait to get V, btw), I don't game on my laptop.